1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

72" 0r 60"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by wriken, Apr 17, 2003.

1. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I currently have a 48" w/b, a 60" ztr and a older 72" front mount Hustler. I told my dealer that I want to get another 60"er, but he did'nt have one in stock with the Donaldson's filter kit on it, told him thats the kind I wanted. Anyways He calls me to today and said he had 3 72"er come in and would sell for the same price as a 60"er. What do I do, my average lawn size is 32000 to 182,000 sq ft, a couple smaller. Would you guys go for it or stick with a 60"er. The future I see myself Probably bidding more towards the larger property's, and I don't think scalping will be a problem with my current clients. Also what do you know about the Generac motor, in this case 28 hp running a 72". What do you think?:confused:
  2. AGG Lawn Maintenance

AGG Lawn Maintenance LawnSite Senior Member
    from Elberon

I used to have a Hustler 400 with the High lift bac vac. I still have one Hustler 60" mower. If I were you I would invest in the 72" being you plan to get even bigger lawns anyway. Why not get more bang for the buck. As far as the engine do you research. Only you will know whats best for your company. Good luck.
  3. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

Bigger is better within reason.

If you're doing flat open properties, go for it. If you've got hills and dips and slopes I'd go 62".
  4. wriken

The more I think about it, I will probably go with the 72". I will still have the 60" and 48"er. Your right bigger is better, most of the time.

Anybody got any scoop on the generac, did a search but did'nt help much, only thing that sticks in my head is that one of the mower manufactures decided not to go with generac, wonder why?
  5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

It's amazing the difference between a 60" and 72" machine. We have 3 of each and the 72"s can really go through some real estate in no time. Go for the 72" IMO. And btw, good luck!
  6. fox

fox LawnSite Member
    from MN

I agree with AGG.
  7. wriken

I've decided to go with the 72", pick it up tomorrow am, I will post pics when I get it. Things are looking good, nailed 2 more 2 acre jobs and had to look at 2 more.
  8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

pick me one up at Gene's while you are over there;)
  9. wriken

Picked the 72"er up
    side view

10. wriken

Deck/front axle, notice how they beef the front axle up.