72" deck

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Doug406, Feb 16, 2000.

1. Doug406

Doug406 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have a problem with using a 72" deck for larger open properties. The toro book says it will turn the same tip speed as a 52".

2. Retro67

Retro67 Banned

Let me preface this by saying I've never owned or operated a 72" mower. That being said, I would stick with the 60" just because of the power to cut ratio. Otherwise, get one of the big commercial outfronts powered by a big diesel with a 72". That would probably be cost prohibitive. <p>I'd buy a 60" that I knew would perform at top operating speeds. Just my two cents without any 72" experience to draw from. Have you tried the Ferris with Independent Suspension? That would be good for riding long hours. Has the lowest center of gravity in its class, which would help if you mow hills. I like it, but you may prefer something completely different. I can give you a number for the Ferris, too if you are interested. It's about $200 more than the Toro price I gave you.<p>John

3. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

What Toro 72&quot; are you talking about?<p>The right-hand trim one on the GM72's are good. The newer, lighter left-hand trim ones on their 200 series GM and ZTR's, I would shy away from due to a tendency to scalp. Because this deck is so long (front to back) It's difficult to make it not scalp.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I test drove a 72&quot; front mount mower on a few yards one time. I found it to be too big to menuaver easily. It also scalped all over the place. Now this was a Kubota. I wish I would have tested the Exmark Lazer 72 because it seemed to have more center support.

5. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 72&quot; deck on my Chopper, I use this machine on 99% of the properties I mow, large and small. It is less likely to scalp than any other piece of equipment I own and makes a beautiful cut. I hesitated to buy something this big but an really glad I did now. On my large properties it reduces my time greatly and my smaller ones are done in record time. If the mower fits......use it! If it will go in a gate I use it in backyards while the other mower is running in the front, for mulching we sometimes team up and criss cross each other.<p>No regrets, wish I had another one!<p>Homer