1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

72" Dixie Chopper VS 72" Exmark?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by West KY Lawncare, Apr 18, 2007.

1. West KY Lawncare

West KY Lawncare LawnSite Member

I am looking at these mowers for a large piece of property that I mow and wanted to get some input. The exmark is used with about 250 hours on it and has the 27hp kohler. It is in very nice shape. The dixie is a new demo unit with 38 hours and the 33hp generac. I wasn't crazy about the way the dixie rode, but it did seem to cut this property well. I currently own a scag turf tiger with the 29hp kaw. with the velosity plus deck and it is awesome I just don't see many of these in a 72" cut. Any help on the other two machines would be nice!
  2. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

In my opinion, the 27hp Kohler isn't enough to power the 72" deck. I would go with the Dixie for the more adequate power.
  3. Mike Fronczak

Mike Fronczak LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Lesco 72 with th 33 Generac. The machine was an animal, however it wouldn't stay together (I had lots of problems with it). I would go with the Dixie, I don't think 27 hp is enough on the exmark, it maybe when it brand new, but wait till you get some hours on it, it definatly won't be.
  4. West KY Lawncare

West KY Lawncare LawnSite Member

Nobody else have input?