1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by beck, Jan 11, 2001.

1. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

I was wandering who out there is using 72"ers. Satisfaction?
    I am also wandering what engines you are using. Is a 25hp(kohler) enough power.

FYI: I have been looking at the choppers
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I have a 72" Chopper with the 25 Kohler. If you will be cutting areas on a regular basis there is ample power there. I use mine on 99% of my properties and have been very satisfied--------no it is not prone to scalping, you have to work very hard to even get it to scalp. I have had zero problems out of the 25 on mine, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones. I have even used it as a bush hog from tijme to time and there was still plenty there, just had to take it a little slower.
  3. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

If you want to talk to owners of the 72" Choppers, stop by my Dixie Chopper Chat Room on my website. We have one that has a twin 20 HP Suburban Turb'in, Homer has the 25 HP Kohler on his as he said, Chris has 2 - 72"ers with the 26 HP Yanmar, we had a guy there a couple nights that has two 50 HP Yanmars. Everyone is happy with their machines. Another one with the 72" with the twin engines is Lynne and he is in your area, but we haven't gotten him in the chat room yet.
  4. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We have a Scag 72" with a 22hp kawasaki. Although Im not in DC country seeing the results (lines) created by them, I would advise you to seriously look into one. They are a much more versatile machine than ours for what you will be using it for.

I purchased the 3 wheeler because we have over 10 large properties with extensive Pin Oaks (limbs hang down to 6 inches off the ground) and I wanted to be able to mow as close as possible underneath without "getting in there".

We also only use this machine on wide open back lawn areas. We use a 52/60 hydro with rocket wheels for the fronts.

Hope this helps.
  5. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

Beck, I've got the twin engined DC 72" and could not be happier with it. I can consistently mow 5 to 5.5 acres per hour easily and can better that in large areas and use approximately 1.5 gallons per hour. I also have a Scag 72" with the 28 hp Kubota diesel. It's not as fast as the DC, but does have the out front deck, which is better for trimming under trees, etc. Any questions I can answer are certainly welcome. thanks, Lynn
  6. Hardy Enterprises

Hardy Enterprises LawnSite Member

I have a 72" Exmark Lazer Z eps with the kohler 26hp efi and it has plenty of power. The 72" deck is great I have never really had any problems with scalping.

7. beck

beck LawnSite Senior Member

Even though my trailer brochure says rear opening width=77"
    it only comes out to 74.5". It is an enclosed trailer so once I get through the doorway i have 80"s. Now I need to see if I can modify the opening to make it work.
  8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

It should fit with a little room to spare. My open trailer doesn't have that much room and I can squeeze mine on. Have to pull straight in though.