1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

72" grasshopper

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gammon landscaping, Mar 16, 2006.

1. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

dad bought a 72" grasshopper a while back and i was thinking today that i don't think that i have heard of anyone here that uses one. so i was wondering does anyone have one of knows of any one that has?
    are the good bad what? it has the kabota diesel on it
  2. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Is it a midmount, or a front deck model? There are thousands of those Grasshopper 72" machines in use all over the world. The 72" deck machines, of any brand, are not used by many lawn maint. contractors. That size deck is just too big for a lot of applications. It is, however, very popular with citys, schools, colleges, etc. They have very large, wide open areas to mow, and the 72" deck machines from Grasshopper can mow a bunch of acres in a hurry. There are 8 or 10, Grasshopper 72" machines running in our immediate area. I did have a Grasshopper, 428D midmount, but sold it when I downsized my operations.
  3. Bay de Noc Lawn Car

Bay de Noc Lawn Car LawnSite Member

Grasshopper makes great machines. There are quite a few guys on here running them.
  4. jcthorne

jcthorne LawnSite Member

Grasshopper's are great machines. I run 52" 227's.

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Grasshopper's are popular in my area quite a few of them going down the road,the biggest downfall with em is no walk behinds,i don't know why they don't offer them.
  6. befnme

befnme LawnSite Bronze Member

i run a 61" 225 and love it.
  7. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

As a dealer, I have asked Grasshopper to build walkbehinds several times. I am sure other dealers have also. However, I do not think they will build them.
    The market for commercial walkbehinds shrinks some every year, and there are already about 40 brands of walkbehinds oin the market.Grasshopper would rather use their resources to build high quality ZTR's, where sales continue to increase. I would rather see them stay out of the walkbehind market, than pull a stunt like Hustler did. Hustler just has Encore throw yellow paint and $5.00 worth of Hustler decals on some cheap belt-drive Encore machines. Then they can sell them at Hustler dealers as Hustler machines.
  8. blublazes

blublazes LawnSite Member

Grasshoppers are awesome, I have a 322D with a 61" deck and I have no complaints whatsoever. You will have no problems at all with the Kubota diesel engine, plenty of power, and excellent fuel economy.
  9. Grass Man

Grass Man LawnSite Senior Member

.... Nice machines but real easy to spin the wheels or lose traction (smaller wheels). Also, they tend to slide sideways on a hill. Better to do that than rolling over. Other than that I like them. They are my second choice to the Kubota :).

10. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I have had a 928D with a 61" deck for a while now and it seems like a good machine other walking downhill when trying to go sideways. It will back up any hill you are brave enough to try it on. The quality of the ride is much smoother than a mid mount since the deck is in front of you instead of bouncing around under you.