72 inch or range (winged) mowers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Two Rivers, Mar 15, 2008.

1. Two Rivers

Two Rivers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I have 60 acres (5 site) of schools. We currently mow with a 60'' super Z and 48" walkbehind. It takes forever and a day to finish. whould a 72'' or a tri-fold mower help the most...

2. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know what size trifold you are looking at but I can say the 72 will make a noticable difference over the 60. I started with a 72 bought a 60 a year or two later and sold it after the first year. The difference was very noticable. We have three 72s and a 60" walk behind with a velke now.

3. TNT Lawncare

TNT Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

The difference is night and day going from a 60" to a 72". They really don't scalp anymore than a 60" does, and thats the reason most people give for not buying them. Go for the 72"

4. Two Rivers

Two Rivers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

oh yeah i knew it would be better than a 60... but what about a winged mower. I understand hauling the thing would be a pain.

5. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Guy in the area uses a tractor and a 15ft brush hog finish mower. Seems to work pretty slick. He been in the buisness for a long time so he's probably tried the other ways and found it was the best.

6. mag360

mag360 LawnSite Silver Member

Given nice level ball fields without excessive weekly growth 72 inch super z might be able to rival an 11ft batwing mower. If your speed is under 8mph on the wider mower (seems like it would be) and the super z can cut at top speed while costing a lot less to buy it might be the better choice. Cheaper to keep running too.

7. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

We do that style of mowing get you a 72" or a pair and you will be amazed! One of our crews did 90 acres in a day! That was two 72" ztr's running!

8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry.. but there's NO WAY just (2) 72" mowers did 90 acres in a day, unless all it was, was basically sod field mowing.

9. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Are you looking to put on another truck / trailer as well?? Or do you want it all to fit on what you already drive?

Are you looking to hire more help?? Or do you want to keep it at the level of employees (if any) that you already have?

10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

It will, a 11' cut at 8 mph is 10.66 acres an hour, a 6' cut at 15 mph is 10.91 acres per hour. That speed makes a big difference.