72" Lazer?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, May 20, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

A question for those that own a 72" Lazer and possibly a 60"..

Does the 72" cut as nice a 60".. as clean and discharge just as well?

thanks

2. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

not sure about the 72" but i demoed the 60" with the ultra-cut deck (same deck on the 72", 5.5" deep) and side discharging it handles grass very well at any speed. wish they could fit that deck under the HP frame.

3. Lawn-Scapes

Mike... I know the 60" cuts well.. I own one :)

I really need to know if the 72" cuts and discharges just as good because none of the local dealers have a 72" demo.

Thanks

4. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

If the local dealer has a 72" demo, why don't you demo it and see if you like it?

I really struggled with my latest purchase. I was looking at the 62" and the 72" Toro Z-Masters. Both would fit in my trailer but with the 72" I would have had to leave one of my push mowers at home.

I got the 62" and I just love it.

I cut a lawn today in 1 minute 18 seconds! It took me longer to trim than to mow.

5. Lawn-Scapes

6. Lawn-Scapes

C'mon now... someone has to have a 72" Lazer. I really need to know if it discharges as well as a 60"

:(

7. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

DOH!

I'm such a dork!

I could have sworn I read your post right and it said "one of the local dealers has a demo"..........

It was late...........

8. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

Greetings:
    The 72" machines do well if the grass is short. If it is overgrown forget it. The 72" machines do well on flat ground but tend to scalp more on hills and ridges.
    Nick

9. Lawn-Scapes

Nick... are you speaking of 72" machines in general or are you referring to Lazers? Also.. what do you consider short? I'm cutting anywhere from 6-8 inches of grass down to 4-4.5 inches on a weekly basis. Can a 72" Lazer handle this without problems?

Green Pastures... I forgive you. I was going to comment about it being late..

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

I have demoed several 72" machines in the past, and the Lazer was the worst designed of all of them. It has a lot of deck offset to one side, and it rocks and rolls badly on rough or uneven ground. It has a very poor design on it's mule drive belt system. LOTS of belts to break and pulleys to wear out.
    After a lot of demos, I bought a Grasshopper midmount 428D. It is a very well designed machine, with a very simple belt system.
    I would recommend that you not buy any 72" mower with a gasoline engine. They eat huge amounts of fuel, and you will need over 30hp if you mow anything very tall or thick. Diesel is the only way to go, and you need at least a 28hp diesel engine for the 72" deck. Mine has the 28hp Kubota, and it will mow anything. I even use it for brush hog-type jobs.
    The machine I felt came close to the Grasshopper in performance, was the Dixie Chopper.