72" machines..

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Apr 14, 2004.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'm getting an itch (again) to move up to larger mower. I will be demoing a 72" Chopper on Friday but it will be last years model with a 26efi or 28efi engine. I would really like to demo the 32hp Generac.

How many of you use 72" mowers? How many went from a 60 to 72? Do you feel the quality of cut got better, stayed the same or has suffered any?

What 72" mowers did you demo and which did you prefer?

Would a 28efi be sufficient on a 72" machine?

Thanks in advance!

2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a cub tank M-72, w/Generac 28 h/p, its plenty for me, maybe the gen's have alot of torque. as far as cut, just as good as my 60's do. but then again its a cub. LOL

3. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

Lawn-Scapes...I have never used a 72" but I read on here that they scalp on uneven ground more readily. You mentioned the Generac engine reminded me that the local Lesco dealer has a 72" Z Two with a 33HP Generac for only $7400.00. As you may know, these are the same as Cub Cadet. Nice looking machine even though I'm a Hustler fan.

4. Catos

Catos LawnSite Member
    from Georgia

Do not buy a dixie chopper, we have one which is the worst mower we have. I would go with an exmark or kees 72" cut. The dixie chopper is not made out of anything, then the tires will mess up propertys the dixie chopper has a bad name where I'm from.

5. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Question: how do you guys fit a 72" on your trailer. My trailer is as wide as they make them (as wide and the laws permits) and there is only about 5" on each side when I load my 60". If I were to load a 72" on there, it would scrape both sides of the trailer (if it would fit at all) and there would be no room for error (you'd have to go PERFECTLY straight to load). What's the solution?

6. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

I suppose you'd have to have an open deck trailer if it's true that they only allow 6' wide trailers, but I doubt that's true. Not to argue with you, just thinking that I used to have a box truck and the box was 102" wide, and was suppposedly the widest that was legal, not sure why trailer's would be much different. I'm too lazy to get up and check now, but I'm pretty sure our trailers are wider than 6'.

7. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

My trailer deck is 7 ft between the fenders. Overall trailer or vehicle max legal width is 102 in.
    Unless you are doing a lot of very flat lawns like ball fields , etc. I think most people would agree the 60 is most versitle and usable size.

8. BigEd

BigEd LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

MY ENCLOSED IS 8.5 FEET WIDE.

9. Moore Mowing

Moore Mowing LawnSite Member

I have two 72" Dixie Choppers. I wouldnt have anything else!! My trailer is 83" wide so I have a few inches on each side to play with.. I use my smaller trailer that is only 77" wide and it is all it can do to fit on there.

10. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

My 20' open trailer is 83"s wide, where as my enclosed is 8'5"s