72" MOWERS FOR 300-400 acres?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SouthernFried, Dec 30, 2006.

1. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

City Parks and Flood buyouts. These are pretty flat areas but with nicely spaced trees on them. There are also many locations, that vary in size from one half acre to 30 acres, so we will be doing some traveling.

Looking at 72" mowers from Ferris, Exmark, Toro...mebbe others, not sure. So I was interested in peoples opinions, favorites, experience. These are not shredding jobs.

I am going to try and operate machines 8 hrs straight (stagger lunches). So these have to be durable, comfortable (operator fatigue), long time between gassing, etc.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. JDWalkbehind

JDWalkbehind LawnSite Member

i would go with a john deere diesal front mount mower. one with a cab and a radio

3. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

We are prolly gonna stay gasoline, since we have it stored at our facility. Also mid-mount, so I can put 2 of them on a trailer.

Deere products are a possibility tho.

4. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

I know you would really like to see gasoline units. But for maximum life-span, comfort and durability it is hard to beat the 72" Ferris Diesel unit or a John deere 72" front mount with a diesel. It's EASIER to store diesel than gasoline. Plus you can run off-road diesel and save a few dollars. You will get more running hours and IMHO diesel units tend to be more comfortable with noise levels and vibration because they have more cylinders, are water-colled and better vibration dampening than gasoline engines. Diesels are almost always mounted on rubber. When is the last time you saw a gas unit mounted on rubber?

my $0.02

5. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

IMO I wouls have to say go with the Scag or Cub both are great machines also you may want to look into the walker mower with the 74inch deck all three are good machines.

6. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

Toro batwing.

7. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I would definitely go w/ the 72" mowers. I personally like the Ferris Diesels. I have seen guys running the Dixie Choppers & getting some work done fast as well.

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

You need to be looking into a few WAMS, and have the 72"s as trim machines.

It really depends on how much traveling is involved, and the average size of the prperties. Also Diesel is basically a must , if you are going to run them 8 hours straight, the only other option I can see is Liquid colled gas motors.
    I can tell you with the gas mowers your going to be filling up often.

9. lawnangel1

lawnangel1 LawnSite Senior Member
    from KY

I totally agree. I would go with a toro 580-d and then maybe a 60'' ztr or a 52"" w/b for a trim mower. If you decide to go with the 72" ztr route than I think your gonna want to go with a diesel. Maybe a scag sabre tooth tiger or a deere 997. I think in the long run you would be happier going with a diesel especially with that kind of use.

10. B&M

B&M LawnSite Senior Member

kubota f series look into them.