72" owners please respond!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawnworks, Apr 7, 2003.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have a 60" Dixie Chopper Flatlander and I love it, but I have the urge right now to buy a diesel dixie and have found one for a reasonable price. BUT it is a 72". I cut 99% residential. Most are less than an acre. What are yalls feelings on the width of the deck. The issue is not fitting in yards, but rather how well the deck will cut. I think a 72" will work for me but wanted yalls input. Does anyone cut residential yards w/ a 72"? Oh and what is the top speed of 26hp diesel dixie? Isn't it 12 mph?

2. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

The 72 does well except for yards with a lot of divots or uneven areas. Manueverability is fine.

Stability on hills is BETTER: 100 lbs more weight just inches above the ground so the CG is lower.

Trimming ability is as good, sometimes better because the deck overhangs the frame a little more and can get into more tight spots.

KB

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

They're not Z's, but I run a couple of 72" Toro Groundsmasters on a lot of lawns...even on some under an acre in size. I'm pretty careful after 9 years of commercial and residential mowing where they might scalp.

But I really don't have much problems with them considering they weigh almost 2,000 lbs. Add the vac system full of grass or leaves and my fat a** and you're well over 2k (probably closer to 2500 total).

The key when running a 72" deck (or bigger) is paying attention since mowers that size are less forgiving than a 48 or 52 inch mower.

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Lawnworks,

I would skip on the 72" Diesel Dixie.

Especially since you say that it is only the 26hp model. :(

The 50hp Diesel is suggested for optimal performance. I've heard many with the 26hp Diesel on a 60" complain about bogging and power issues.

You could probably fit a 72" in most yards, but thats another 12" of deck to power. Plus your wheel base is now about 4" longer allowing for possibly more scalping.

The weight issue is another thing. Just a lot of weight that a comparable gas/60" doesn't have.

I'd say stick with the 60" for now.

5. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 72", use it on 3 Big yards. Yards that are up to almost 10 acres. Sure cuts the overall time down, you put that with a 60", 48" you can knock down alot of grass, but a big mower like thats not for everybody, I could live without it. These propertys are very level, so I don't get any scalping. What really helps is all my mowers go 25 mph, just kidding.:p

6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

You dont have any lawns over an acre? Forget the 72 then. You dont need it. Stick with the 60. Its all you will ever need, and its a heck of a lot cheaper (up to $4000 difference on the SCAGs at least)

:cool:

7. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

I hear the 26hp dixie which is actually a 23hp diesel has been discontinued!

8. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

They don't list it anymore on their site, but then again, DC's website is full of other omitted or inaccurate info.

:rolleyes:

9. Farmboy

Farmboy LawnSite Member

That is probably why you are getting a deal on the mower! I ordered me a new diesel mower today and I think if you are mowing large area diesel is the way to go!

10. nlminc

nlminc LawnSite Bronze Member
    from GA

Naaaa.........That's not why he's getting a deal. I'm the one selling it! I just ran a three year contract it's course and I have no need for the DC anymore. I had 2 of them. Used them both for just one contract, payed for them and have no need for them anymore. I already sold one. I never had any problem with either of these mowers. Used them to cut athletic fields up North.