72' scag owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by towtruck212, Mar 26, 2009.

1. towtruck212

towtruck212 LawnSite Member

I just bought one and wanted to know what to expect from it. Any special setup you ran on it ? What is junk on it? What is good on it?

Thanks

Mike

2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

So you bought a 72" TT, which engine does it have? You purchased as good a mower as there is on the market. This is not to say you can't have problems with anything man-made. There really is no "so called" weak points on a Scag, the ride could stand improving, but then again; so could a lot of others.

3. lawnboy2068

lawnboy2068 LawnSite Member

As stated on another post, we had 3 of these back in the mid 90's. Only option we had were Velkies. A little heavy but nothing that a good operator couldn't handle. Otherwise they were excellent machines that were very productive. We sold ours after 5 years to get our groundmasters. I still wish we had kept at least 1 of them. Never had a problem with them. Good luck with yours.

What motor is on them now? We had Kohler 25's.

James

4. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

You should expect to get done earlly every Friday and have time to go fishing.

5. towtruck212

It has kohler 25hp its a replacement motor the muffler is on the front of the motor and is kind of in the way to get the belt cover off. Is just a little harder to get the cover off. I have 2 48" walkbehinds now and i cant wait to get this 72" out and see how quick i can do some of my propertys.

Thanks guys
    Mike

6. puppypaws

I have no idea what type properties you cut, but a 72" deck will give a 25 hp Kohler more than it wants. I've seen a 72" deck give a 28 hp Cat diesel more than it cares to deal with. No heavy cutting, damp grass, not taking off more than a inch, no problems. Taking off more than an inch, heavy growth, wet grass and the 25 Kohler is not nearly enough engine for a 72" deck, not even close.

7. capnsac

capnsac LawnSite Senior Member

Think of it this way.

30 HP Kohler 60" deck = .5hp/inch of deck (still gives me fits and starts)

25 HP Kohler 72" deck = .35hp/inch of deck (will give you a hell of a time)

I know that formula is a bit arbitrary, so let me put it to you another way. I had a 60" with a 25 Kawasaki and it sucked so bad I went out and bought a 30HP Kohler command.

8. towtruck212

are these number from a ztr or a walkbehind? What I bought is a waklbehind.

9. lawnboy2068

lawnboy2068 LawnSite Member

Interesting formula's. I don't know why you had trouble with a 25hp on a 60" machine. All of our 62's run Kohler 20hp and we have never had a problem. High, wet, thick grass and they all have Velkies and we never have had a problem. We also never had a problem with the 25 Kohler on the 72's. You can't go as fast as a Z master but we never had any problem of bogging down or stalling in high wet grass. Maybe we just got lucky.

James

10. puppypaws

You are saying there is no noticeable difference with a 25 hp Kohler on a 72" mower in 6" tall damp grass cutting it down to 3 1/2"?:confused: