72" Scag Turf Tiger

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnjocky, Jun 10, 2008.

1. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

I'm considering a 72" Tiger. But I haven't decided on a motor. Which one would you guy's recommend and why. Also what do you think of your Scag's compared to other brands?

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

Well, you can't go wrong with the 35hp LC Vanguard. That's PLENTY of engine. The 28hp CAT is a great choice as well.

3. bigclawn

bigclawn LawnSite Senior Member

if you are not trying to bushog with it and your mowing is basically routine the 29DFI unit will be just fine.

4. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

What he said! My 61 Turf Tiger has the Kohler 27 and I wish I had the 31 Aegis.

5. Tagg

Tagg LawnSite Member

SCAG *** Simply the Best ***

6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Remember the 72" is not a Velocity deck but an Advantage deck unless you go with the Cat engine. The Velocity deck is longer and a 72" version won't fit. They made an exception for the Cat engine.

29 hp on up should work.

7. create_username

create_username LawnSite Member

I purchased a new 61 TT with the 31 Kohler and it has an awesome torque curve. I would highly recommend you demo and compare all of the optional combo's. As far as how Scags compare to other mowers those of us that have them swear by them however, Exmark, Walker, and Grasshopper make great machines as well. Good luck with which ever machine you purchase.

8. lawnjocky

lawnjocky LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm looking at other brands besides the Scag but my foreman like's it the best and they are in town. The other brand's are Gravely, Exmark and John Deere. My original question covers these since they all have various engines to choose from. I'm running 3 Gravely's with 60" deck's and 25HP motors. My gut tells me 30HP should run a 72". But with different weight's and power needs for each brand that could be wrong. Any input about the other brand's would be great.

Tacoma200 whats the difference in the deck's you where talking about? How concerned should I be?

Thanks