1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

72"super z gearbox problems

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Alpine Lanscape, Aug 20, 2004.

1. Alpine Lanscape

Alpine Lanscape LawnSite Member

I purchased a new72" super z about two months ago and have now had the gearbox go out on me "twice". What a pain in the butt! Why do they use a gearbox on a 72 instead of the typical hydro/ belt system? Whats the deal? Why does the gearbox keep going down? My dealer is an hour away and its really hurting my maintenance responsibilities and customer relations. I own an Exmark and haven't had any problems in two years! I went with the Hustler because I thought it was well built. $10,000 for this?
  2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We have seen a few of these cases.
    Please make sure your dealer is talking with our customer service department.
    We will have this taken care of for you.
    Please e-mail me at the address below, and I will forward your concerns to our customer service department.

3. QuestioningMyPurchase

QuestioningMyPurchase LawnSite Member

I am having the same problems. I am also an hour from my dealer and have taken my mower back 4 times in the first 30 hrs. When the mower first came in the gear box was leaking before I picked it up so the dealer (very good service from the dealer) put a new one on it before I picked the mower up.

Within a few hrs. the 2nd gear box was leaking......

Now they are telling me the gb has too much oil in it. Give me a break!

Now the 27 hp Liquid Cooled Kawasaki has a problem with one of the cylinders. Hustler has put my dealer off on Kawasaki. Kawasaki has been no help and my mower has been down for days!

My dealer is great and has let me use his demo mower but it is about half the size of mine and is costing me a lot of time.

Did I pay almost $10,000.00 for this? Is there a "lemon law" for mowers? Please help.

P.S. Did I mention that my dealer has been great?
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Please e-mail me your info and your dealer info.
    I will forward it to the appropriate people and make sure this is followed up on ASAP.