1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

72 Toro Zmaster too wide for 6 x 12 trailer

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by piston slapper, Mar 7, 2013.

1. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Got a little problem...My 72 in Zmaster is 74 inches wide and won't fit on my 6 x. 12 trailer...
    Widening the trailer is not an option....Has anyone ever cut and hinged the discharge side of the deck.???
    I have an ODC assy off a DixieChopper and am thinking about cutting 5 inches off the discharge end ..and welding it to the ODC ...so I can flip it up to go on and off the trailer..
    Other than adding some supports it looks like a simple fix...
    Any ideas.?????
  2. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

3. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

I've never heard of that what you are speaking of being done.
    There was a guy a long while back, 10 yrs or so ago, added a aux mower deck to the deck of the mower he was using and was trying to promote the idea...hmmm.
    However, if there is anyone here that would be more capable of doing such an operation on a mower deck than you, fish or resto, based on reading your informational posts, I'd be surprised.

The flow control baffles are a consideration. You'd want a smooth transition to discharge clippings. High lift blades take the clippings up, the flow control baffles help to mulch and transition the clippings out to discharge, at least thats what I think.
    I'd think you'd have problems where the deck, hinge and the cut piece wouldn't flow the air properly as it wouldn't seal.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

No joke Captken..
    It has a mulching kit which is coming off anyway...I just mow my own yard with it..bout an acre or two..
    Sometimes I let my brother mow his 5 acres with it...it fits fine on his trailer...
    It should be a nice afternoon modification..try to remember to take a few pics..
  5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I gotz one !!!

Cut a extra inch off 6" instead of 5", Weld a piece of say 2" flat bar on the inside of the deck..... 1" inside and 1" hanging out past your cut;

Doing this will seal the cut line for a smooth transition and reduce any clippings from getting stuck in the cut gap, Would also help reduce sand blasting the edge of the raise up piece.....

6. dstifel

dstifel LawnSite Senior Member

Let me know how that works I have the same problem with my 72 real pita only haul it about 2-3 a month rest of the month I run a 36 so I don't wanna buy a new trailer.
  7. skorum03

skorum03 LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like a lot of work, I would either swap out the mower for the lazer 60 or get a bigger trailer. Thats just me.

YardBros Outdoors
  8. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Why not sell the 6x12 and trade up to a 7x14? It would be cheapter then modifying a mower to fit or trading down in mower size.
  9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Depends on who's do'n it, I know Slapper has the tools/equipment and likely the material laying around..... I do things of sort (welding/fabrication) for the challenge and having no out of pocket makes it even better.....
  10. clydebusa

clydebusa LawnSite Bronze Member

Buy a wider trailer. Sell what you have buy a wider trailer, be out a couple of hours and maybe couple hundred dollars. Or spend hours trying to do something that might not work. I only have a few hours a day, so to me it is more profitable to fix problems quickly.