72" vs 60" horse power

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by tacoma200, Jul 27, 2006.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I was wondering if you engineers or some one that has had alot of seat time on different Hustler models could tell me how much more power does it take to run a 72" deck on a Super Z compared to a 60" and still have the same preformance speed and cut wise. In other words will a 27hp/60" have about the same preformance as a 30hp/72". Or does it take more than 3 hp to run the extra deck with.

2. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

It takes alot more power, you can figure it out by mathmatically figuring out how much more cut area with square inches. not only do you have to cut that much more grass but then get rid of it. For a 72 to work like a 60 27 you need a good 35 HP with out a dought. No a 30 will not cut it in thick grass! Thin grass yaa. I just did the math you should have 44% more power. So 27 x 44% = 38.88 HP so you need at least 35 HP of good torque. The current crop of Hustler gas engines will not cut it for heavy cut situations.

3. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I think I made a mistake becuae I did not take into consideration the round circl of cutting and that is pienot square inch so I am probably wrong will not be the last time either. I fugure it to be around 35% ? Figure around 36 HP to equal a 27 HP 60. Hey you guy's what is wrong with a briggs 35 HP vanguard?

4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Conditions and ground speed are the key factors in what your hp will do for you.
    10 to 15 years ago 20hp engines were the big ones that powered the big decks.
    We are using the largest engines we can in our applications that our engineers are happy with in regards to the testing we do.

5. HenryB

HenryB LawnSite Bronze Member

My oldest Super Z has a 24hp Honda 60 ich deck and it cuts great I even run a spindle mounted Vac system. Two words: research and design. This horsepower talk is getting comical. I've used ZTR's with 30 plus hp, Toro Groundmasters about everything out there for a lot longer than many guys on this site have been alive.

6. REALSLOW

from FLORIDA

I want more power,I mostly use the Super Zs for cutting big areas and alot of time the lots go for 2 weeks in the summer with tough bahai. The 27 60 is OK if I did it again it would be the 28 EFI but i would not even consider a 28 EFI on a 72 for what I cut. I want 35 HP on a Super Z 72. I just talked to the dealer about a 72 super and he could not do any better than a 28 EFI and then he yried to sell me a Snapper 73 with 32 HP Vangaurd so I feel Hustler needs to come up with bigger motors. WHAT IS~ WRONG WITH THE 35 HP VANGAURD?