737 / High pitched squeal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JOEWOOD, May 9, 2005.

1. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

Any one ever experience this annoying sound?

I located one grease fitting (well hidden) that my Deere Dealer forgot.

Joe

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

When does it happen? All the time, when engaging the pto, at engine start up?

3. K&L Landscaping

K&L Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Give us more info. please. I have JD 757 & JD 717A, both machines I think I know very well. Perhaps I can help with a little more info.

4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

If JD has a clutch for the blades it is probably the clutch. Maybe the air gap is set to large. Or do you have a pulley or spindle that is bound up causing a load on that clutch?

5. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

[​IMG]

Hello Guys,

The squeal happens about 1/2 hour into mowing, at that point i disengage the blades but still squeals. I shut down for a while then continue without squeal.

Thanks...Joe

6. QuikKutLawn

QuikKutLawn LawnSite Member

Does it only happen when moving? If you stop without shutting down the engine does it continue to squeal?

7. bk2030

bk2030 LawnSite Member

How new is the machine?

If the squeal happens when the machine is moving and the deck is on the ground, the front casters on the center of the deck are making the squeal. We have noticed this on newer machines and will go away when the rollers get broken in.

8. JOEWOOD

JOEWOOD LawnSite Member

Does it only happen when moving? If you stop without shutting down the engine does it continue to squeal?

Yes it squeals even when not in motion, the machine is 2 months new.

Joe

9. bk2030

bk2030 LawnSite Member

Check the transmission drive belt and Idler pulleys. If the blades are not turning and the machine is not moving, the drive belt and engine are the only two things moving. Also make sure nothing is in the flywheel. (leaf, plastic, etc.)

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Take it back to the dealer since its under warrenty. I would say its coming from one of the pulleys on the drive system.