1. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bought a 14" cutoff saw (Dewalt HD ) I cut 2 cuts of 4x3 5/16 wall tubing and then it fell flat on its face. It throws hardly any sparks and goes nowhere. I assume that the wheel is loaded up or glazed. I ran a small die grinder against it while it was winding down and it helped a little, about 5 sec. Is there a good way to deglaze? Should I chuck the wheel an purchase quality one? ( blade says it is a stud wheel (for sheet metal?)) What kind should I get. I can't buy new wheel every time I cut a large piece. What do you think?:angry:
  2. 75

75 LawnSite Senior Member

I've used this trick for a glazed-up chop wheel: Take your chipping hammer and work your way around the wheel, giving the cutting surface a sharp tap every inch or so. You'll see the difference in colour between the glazed surface and "fresh" one.

Same idea as using the die grinder, only a bit more agressive approach. Obviously, you're not trying to knock big chunks out of the wheel but you DO want to break through that glaze layer.

At work, for the 14" chop saws we use wheels made by Flexovit, here's the info that's printed on them:

Type 1
    Metal - General Purpose
    Part no. F5521

These work pretty well for us, so you may want to try something similar. But use up the ones you have now, no point letting them go to waste!

Hope this helps!
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks I will give it a go.