75 MPH Trac-Vac towed by truck Interstate on turf tires!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Albemarle Lawn, Oct 15, 2005.

1. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Earlier today I'm driving past the High School in my town and this guy in a Ford F150 passes me towing a trac vac. Stop at a light next to him, sure enough, just regular little turf tires (nearly bald, gee I wonder why...). Nothing special on the axle/bearings, either. Standard issue plain bushing wheel, thin axle.

So light turns green and he merges over to the right where road meets highway, and I'm thinking, no way. I though for sure he would be holding up traffic going 30 mph down the highway.

Off he goes on up the ramp. I fall in behind him. I paced him at a steady 75 mph. The little tires were BALLOONING!!! I couldn't believe this, one of the most profound retards I have ever seen.

Here comes my exit, gosh I was tempted to follow out of curiousity, I was betting 2 more miles tops until disaster. But I was late, low on gas, etc just couldn't watch.

I'll check the TV news tonight see if anything interesting happened.:help:
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

To bad you didn't get a pic.
  3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Aww, you should have got a pic of that idiot.
  4. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

need to carry a camera at all times you never know what you'll see....
  5. sdwally

sdwally LawnSite Senior Member

We do the same thing with the Toro Rak-O-Vacs, however we mount 31X10.50s on them for highway use. Also we install lighting and get license plates.
    That guy is a driving hazard, hate to be the person beside him or right behind him when one tire goes, if not both. Be a nice fine also if causes a wreck, when they blow.