75 yards of mulch installed for whattt????

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Glenn Lawn Care, May 31, 2012.

1. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I got a call from a guy who needs 75 yards of mulch installed. The prep work is already done so its just installing the mulch. He finally gets back to me this afternoon after playing phone tag. I gave him my price and he told he I was on the high end. I came in at $5222.34 and he got a few bids, One was at $10k and others were at $10 -$15 dollars to install 75 yards of mulch. He said he was going to go with the lowest bid, someone who is more economical as he put it. This makes me sick to my stomach!

I figured it would take 3 guys 25 hours to install all the mulch. It would have been me and 2 buddies that are laid off. I would pay them $10 an hour. If you are laying that much mulch for 10-15 dollars a yard, how in the hell can you make money. I'm sure the guy who gave him that bid is not legit by any means!! :dizzy::dizzy::dizzy::hammerhead::hammerhead::confused::mad::realmad::wall:gunsfirinpayup:angry::cry:

2. Dr.NewEarth

Dr.NewEarth LawnSite Bronze Member

It's Stressfull Running A Business.

Any-thing more than a yard or two and I call in the bark mulch blowers.
    They charge 45 to 50 a yard. I'd rather focus on more interesting tasks and
    not be picking out slivers all night.

I hear you though. I've done more than 75 yards on landscape installation gigs with a wheelbarrow. It's not a fun task. Good Luck this year.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Is the mulch supplied? Just for labor I was close $6k. Thts why we use bagged mulch easier to handle and quicker to put down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. GMLC

GMLC LawnSite Platinum Member

I would have bid $5250 to spread 75 yards of mulch that is already supplied at the site. 10-15 a yard is crazy!!!!
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. lazor-cut

lazor-cut LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wixom

Its Not too bad if you can rent a skid steer or two.... THis past weekend we did 190 yards in eight hours running 2 skids.
    Your price seems low especially if it includes the mulch.

6. C Jovingo Landscaping

C Jovingo Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Wow, someone is doing it for peanuts... especially if they don't average 1yd/hr! I hope they have big hills to go up, small areas that take time & long distance to move mulch to lower their hourly avg to $5/hr when job is complete.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Glenn Lawn Care

My price does not include the mulch. The homeowner was having it delivered himself.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

I would be at about 35 a yd for the the labor to do it. As long as I didn't have to pick it waste time driving and stuff still can make money on it.

9. muddywater

muddywater LawnSite Bronze Member

Depending on site conditions i could do it for $2250 labor only. Job would take 30 man hours or 1 day for 3 guys. That is $75 per man hour. But we have 3 dingos and a track skid with 1 yard bucket. We have done 120 yards in 1 day with 4 guys.

How do you guys come up with 6k in labor only? How many man hours are estimating? What labor rate per man hour? Do you do it with wheel barrows?

10. Glenn Lawn Care

It had to be done with wheelbarrows only. And I was charging $65 a yard to install.
    Posted via Mobile Device