76 chevy Pickup

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by RedWolf, Nov 26, 2006.

1. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Hey guys. I got a 76 chevy C20 pickup with a 1990 305 motor in it. It is no longer has the tbi as I have put a Edelbrock intake and 600 cfm carb on it. The truck runs like a raped ape and has tons of power but I found I have a front and rear crank seal leak.What I would like to know is are the crank seals for a 350 the same as the ones for the 305? The dipsh** at autozone says they are but I dont think they are. What do you guys think?
  2. extreme lawn care

extreme lawn care LawnSite Member

The dipsh** is right.
  3. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

Well I wanted to make sure. My father has gotten three steering boxes from autozone and each one has been junk.Its a real bit** changing them out.I think I`m going to deal with NAPA from now on. Atleast they know what there doing.
  4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Wise choice, I don't deal with ANY of those paper pushin punks any longer. :nono:
  5. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You might want to check the crankcase vacuum. If you have pressure in the crankcase it can push the oil out the seals. Check and make sure the pcv valve and hoses are good. If you have excessive blowby then the new seals may leak also. If you said one or the other seal was leaking I wouldn't be saying this. But you said both seals are leaking. It's just another thing to check.
  6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Also check your harmonic balancer. Often times the surface the front seal rides on the balancer is worn and pitted.

As for the steering boxes....check to be sure the frame isn't cracked where your steering boxes mount.
  7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

If the dipSh** was correct, and you were wrong, what does that make you?
  8. skapulka

skapulka LawnSite Member

they should be the same along with most everything else on the motor other than the bore & stoke.
  9. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

Go online and check yourself.
    You can check with NAPA too and get the number and check the price and check to see if your local store has it... doesnt get much easier.
    And if the balancer seal surface, and the crank surface for the rear seal are grooved, you can get a READY SLEEVE from NAPA to square it away.
  10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

Check for a groove where the seal "rides" on the harmonic balance and the crankshaft. If there is a good size groove, you need to get the stainless repair sleeves to solve this or the new seals will leak also. Fel-Pro makes the repair sleeves.