777 just arrived, Mounting lights?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tyaroch, Nov 28, 2007.

1. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I finally got the mower of my dreams. JD 777 72". I found this mower at my local dealer(1.5 miles down the road) as a demo unit. It only had 21 hours on it. I took it home and tried it last week. After about 3 hours of mowing, I was sold! I was surprised that I encountered no scalping issues. Can't wait till spring to really try it out. Right now all i can do is polish it. No snow blade for the front. lol. Has anyone tried to mount lights on a JD ZTR? I am not into the kit they sell for a billion $$$.

2. eshreve1234

eshreve1234 LawnSite Member

The JD kit is only $177 installed. To me its worth it. Its alot brighter and higher quality than the $20 fog lamps I bought at Wal Mart.

Anyway, if you are going the self install route.

There are holes up front near the caster tires. Use those to mount your lights. I grounded each light in the same spot. Put on a ring terminal, then bolt the light down over it.

I zip-tied the wires to switch to the frame, go under/behind the deck springs, and make sure you dont tie off to the removable part to service the center spindle.

There are spaces in the frame by the "glovebox"(little indent under the front of the seat), that will get your wires through to the battery area.

I mounted the switch in the glovebox, and upgraded it to one that lights up red all the time so I could see it better. Don't forget your inline fuse, and keep a spare of course.

Make sure you have your wires tied up. I have ripped them out several times with bushes.

Hope this help.

3. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Northern Tool has some great, cheap lights. I got some for my Ferris that are identical to the factory option lights for only $10. They are really bright, too. They are really durable, because my homemade bracket isn't exactly right and the front axle hits the lights when it pivots, but they still work great. They have rectangular and round ones with halogen bulbs. So how does the 777 ride?

4. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Thanks for the help guys. I will go the DIY route I guess. As for the ride, I can not believe how smooth this thing is. I am used to a Bolens GT2000 rider tractor. It was hard for me to go 4mph in my yard. Now I can go 10 and be very comfortqable. I was very impressed.

5. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah, get the Deere headlight kit.....you will be happy you did!:)

6. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

On the Instrumental Panel on the Deere mowers if you feel down with a (little finger tip pressure) on the panel itself, you will feel holes that are pre drilled for option switches already to go. Just have to break thru the panel covering to stick the switch thru.

7. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

Good to know, I have been wondering where to put it.
    Thanks

I wish I could get a pic of the dealer installed lights. All I have seen so far is lights on the ROPS.