777 or gravely 260

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jozgators, Oct 11, 2006.

1. Jozgators

Jozgators LawnSite Member

Just wondering if these mowers do well on hills compared to Hustler super Z. Looking at both, I had to much trouble with super z and warranty goes out next year. Seems to break down thursday or friday, not kidding. I leaning more towards the deere.

2. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Scags tigers hold hills real well.

3. Jozgators

don't care for the scag dealer near me. That's where I bought my hustler talk big but don't back it up. In fact they lost hustler last year.

4. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Humm.... my best guess is the 777 because it has a really wide rear track width and Gravelys have never really been touted as slope machines.

You should also try a Cub Commercial Tank or Lesco Ztwo.
    Mine does better than anything else I have used.

5. Jozgators

Envy is there any difference between the cub and lesco?

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

On the 2005 model year, I know there was a difference in the rear track width of the 60" units. Cub came out with a "Wide Track" unit with a Kohler EFI earlier, and for 2005 Cub adopted this track width across the board on the 60" units.

This put their rear track width out to 57"-58" to the outside of the tires... similar to the John Deere 777 setup. My Lesco has the narrower track width, more like 52"-54" or something like that. I'd like to have the wide track, but mine works great as-is.

Now, I do not know if the current 2006 models of the 60" Lesco are set up this way or not. I couldn't tell you because I haven't needed to be back "IN" a Lesco since buying.

Otherwise, the other units seem to be exactly the same across the board. The only other things I can mention is that with Lesco there is only one engine choice. Kawasaki on all units up to 60" and Generac on the 72".

Cub also has a longer warranty period I think.