1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

78 Bucks for a belt?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JonathanW, Apr 26, 2009.

1. JonathanW

JonathanW LawnSite Member

Today I thought I had been sold a lemon, but after an hour of adjusting the pistol grips I came to the conclusion that it's just the fact that the belts have stretched over time...so we need some new belts...big deal maybe 20 or 30 bucks each.

I just checked (I need two drive belts for my Snapper Pro 48") online with my dealer and holy crap they're freakin 78 and change EACH! Is this average prices for drive belts for a walk behind?

Please tell me there's a cheaper way!

Here is the belt info
    SKU: 7046240
    '01 Snapper Pro Express 48"
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

That does sound kinda high but I don't think they're no 20-30 bucks either.
  3. JonathanW

I guess I'm just too used to buying belts for my old crapsman 50" with a kohler...I never used it commercially, and now that I've moved it just sits, but for 10 years it cut 8 acres every week...and to this days it's still running strong.

How long should a good belt last? I just bought the mower a few months ago...it is an 01 model with less than 100 hours...the guy told me that it had sat so maybe 1 new sets of belts after 8 years isn't so bad. I mean if the belts will last me 2 or 3 years then I won't see the price as so bad.

What's the average life of a good OEM commercial belt on a WB?
  4. randosh4

randosh4 LawnSite Member

I put a new set on my husky erery year 48 bucks each.
  5. dwost

dwost LawnSite Bronze Member

measure and buy aftermarket?
  6. JonathanW

i'm going to try and find aftermarket but it's got a weird toothed design to it.
  7. 4.3mudder

4.3mudder LawnSite Silver Member

Put that number into ebay and see what you can find.
  8. Toy2

Toy2 LawnSite Bronze Member

Search and Goggle will help you save some money, not sure if you have followed my spindle bearing thread.............but I will at least $28.00 with my new set...........
  9. saylorsdad

saylorsdad LawnSite Member

I just take belts to local parts store and tell them what they are for. Guys always scratch their heads, go into the back and come out with identical belt for around 1/3 of the price at mower shop. My snapper belt is 40+ at shop, parts store is around 15.
  10. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

That seems a little high but there is a major differences in those drive belts. I know the Scag ones are expensiv e but they don't slip. I would worry a little about going after market if you use is high.