797 anyone seen it?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husker1982, Jan 23, 2003.

1. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

I am a huge John Deere fan and love thier machines and thier power equipment as well. I run JD equipment and had gone to a John Deere ride and drive where you could demo everything. They had thier new unit the 797 there and it is awsome. If you haven't seen it you want to be sure to. It has a kawasaki 29hp with FI, and Liquid cooled. Now i realize that this is nothing new but the way they have put it into the mower that is already a brute machine is unreal. For having all the goods you wouldn't even know it. Let me know those of you who have seen it or heard of it what you think of it.

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Haven't seen it yet.

It isnt in their commercial brochure.

And last I checked it was only "listed" on their website.

This looks like the mower that they SHOULD have released 8 years ago!!!

I'd LOVE to go back to GREEN!!!

3. lee b

lee b LawnSite Fanatic

I saw a new 797 at a farm show last fall. Really liked it, my dealer is trying to get one in for me to demo. Probably gonna trade my m665 in on a 797 sometime this year.

4. 1stclasslawns

1stclasslawns LawnSite Senior Member

I might be wrong but the one I looked at had an awful lot of "Great Dane" in it.

Jim

5. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I Think u r talking about the 657.

6. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I have seen 3 new JD's so far. All 3 at the same place. I traveled to a dealer who had the 60" and the 54". While I was there, a local lanscaper came by for parts for the LX277 and he had a 60" on his trailer.

They are real nice machines if you haven't seen them in the flesh yet. Man did Deere put some rear shoes on those things!!! They have some really wide tires out back! In fact I wouldn't have the 54" because there is no trim on the deck because of it. But, the 60" is a different story.

Really, I doubt I be considering one though. Reason being is that my local JD dealer sells Bob-Cat & Kubota as well. They order and sell very few JD's. Z's move very slow here as well. They sell more to out of buyers than in town and the majority are Bob-Cats. High end, Kubota.

7. Husker1982

Husker1982 LawnSite Senior Member

It is funny how everyone thinks that great dane and kee's makes John Deere equipment. Don't get me wrong they did for a short while and I mean short. Deere needed to get plants up and running to do thier own thing. So anyone who sees dane in a deere look harder.

8. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Actually, truth is up until now (this year) Yazoo/Kees built the M-Series (665 and such) and Great Dane built the compact mowers (same as Charoit JR).

I am not biased either way. But it's fact and if your dealer tells you different he's not being truthful. I have Kees, Husqvarna, Great Dane & John Deere dealers here locally. It's not very hard to see they are the same mower (Kees / Husqvarna / M-665 Deere) (Chariot Jr / mini mid Deere) (Super Surfer JD / Quick Trak)excluding one part, the 7 Iron deck.

John Deere bought out Great Dane. So it's very likely that the new Deeres are built at that very plant. But hey, why argue? There is no shame in it! They are good mowers and there is absolutely nothing wrong with smart business.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Here is a 797. I'm not sure how this will look, not a very good pic.

777-79a2.gif

10. mklawnman

mklawnman LawnSite Senior Member

I think those new 700 series mowers by JD are built now with the help of Great Dane engineers. I know the smaller ztrs that deere sells is actually the Chariot JR. But this new 797 is I think a Deere product finally. The 600 series mowers were made by yazoo keys and then painted green with the 7-Iron deck put on. Except for the out front ZTR that JD actually made.
    That 797 looks like a big mower, 72" deck??? Humm might be heading back to JD someday in the future, green in my blood some :cool:
    Matt