7X16 Enclosed Trailer

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by thecuttingedgelawn, Aug 24, 2014.

1. thecuttingedgelawn

thecuttingedgelawn LawnSite Member

Hey Guys, in about a month after I get back in town, I'm interested in upgrading to a 7X16 enclosed trailer, (preferably an H&H) from a 6X12 that I've had since 2005 that I've just made work. I have 2 Zero's, several pieces of Stihl equipment, a tool chest, supplies, parts, air tank, compressor, generator, etc. Some options I'm interested in getting are drop down dock legs (unloading without being hooked up), possibly an electric jack & fuel door, D rings, and a few other small things. I made my own shelving up front in my old one and will probably do it again, as it worked perfectly for what I had to store. What are your guys thoughts regarding enclosed trailers, sizes, options, v-nose vs standard front, "must have's", etc?

By the way, for a truck, I have a F250 7.3L w/ mods (about 443 hp 752 ft lbs) , so the trailer size isn't an issue, just want to be able to get in and out of areas.

Thanks in advance for all your input.

2. Morgan Higgins

Morgan Higgins LawnSite Member

I have a 7x16 v nose its awesome! I made shelves in the v part and my mowers go up to that like I have wood straight across the front. I have to walk behind and a stander or zero and or one walk behind a zero in the middle and the stander in the back! Racks on the walls its awesome on regret maybe would he to go to and 18ft but it like it and only to z's you'll be good but you won't get another mower besides that

3. BIG NICKY

BIG NICKY LawnSite Member

i just bought a 6x12 enclosed v-nose from sle in Tennessee and what i liked was that the v nose was all extra space not included in the 6x12 so i figured extra space was a good thing. but i kind wish i had gotten an extended tongue on it

4. Chris_NC06

Chris_NC06 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Sanford, NC

You'll have that 16' filled up quicker than you realize.

5. thecuttingedgelawn

An 18' is an option that I've also thought about. (with the future in mind)

Thanks Morgan for your input.

6. Morgan Higgins

Yeah if I were you I'd go to the biggest one for your street sizes because you'll end up filling them up fast. I did that with my 6.5x12 I had 3 walk behinds on it that got old that's why I got 16 foot and now I don't regret the decision but I'm keeping my eyes out for an 18 or maybe 20

7. Optimum Lawn

Optimum Lawn LawnSite Member

I started with a 6x12 then a 7x14-V and now at 8.5x22-V.
    Absolutely get the V-nose and I would give serious consideration to 8.5 width and 18plus feet for length considering your equipment. Will provide ample room to move around and carry extra stuff along with having a rolling workshop.
    Also consider your combined truck/trailer weights and what that does for road legalities and extra BS factor.

8. FoghornLeghorn

FoghornLeghorn LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I'd get the 18' if you can afford it. More room for tools, blowers, brush cleanup, etc.

You can NEVER have too much space!
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Morgan Higgins

yeah i agree wider is definately a plus side to it to. because the 7 foot once you get racks and stuff it gets a little tight putting my zero in there. and always got with extra length i learned that for sure! i mean being small it was fine at first but then i got more and more stuff

10. thecuttingedgelawn

Very True, Morgan. I like the added lateral (width)room idea especially with racks in place...I just don't want to be pulling a semi trailer...haha jk....8X16 actually looks like it would be perfect....not really needing too much extra length, but width will be greatly appreciated.