8-10' tree planting in yard w/ 36" gates lol

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss LawnSite Silver Member

Theyre wrapped in burlap, 4' wide balls on them. Whats the easiest way or machine to use to dig holes large enough for these? I cant get even a garden tractor back there or bobcat or anything. whats the next best thing?

I have a customer, that already bought 8 trees, he currently has some cheap 4' tall evergreens in the back yard, im removing 8 and installing 8 much larger trees NOT in the same hole, thus needing to dig probably by hand 8 large holes. What should i charge JUST for labor ?

The soil probably isnt digging friendly, lot of NJ junk clay/small rock soil.

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

dismantle the fence and figure it in your bid.

3. mow king

mow king LawnSite Senior Member

[​IMG]

Call up your local rental center. My local nations rent, rents out Takeuchi TB007 Mini Excavators. This unit is 36 inches wide and is designed for going through gates/doorways/etc.

4. rluscomb

rluscomb LawnSite Member

its called a shovel, depending on nationality it can be operated fairly inexpensively and very efficiently

5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

A super mini-x. Thats your best choice. Plus removing the fence. If the hole is bigger 18" by 18" out comes the mini-x

6. southernlandscapespecial

southernlandscapespecial LawnSite Member

You can also use a one or two man auger, just make several holes then scoop out with a shovel.

7. desertrat

desertrat LawnSite Member

We do it all the time. The Bosc jackhammer. One guy jacks, one guys remove soil. Around here all the ground is horrible, so we dig everything with a jackhammer. Holes are dug the size of the root ball and stuck in the ground, watered, and we are done.

8. phototropic1

phototropic1 LawnSite Member
    from MS

I think dismantling the fence and figuring that into your bid will be necessary. You would be hard pressed to get a 48" wide root ball through a 36" wide gate no matter how you dig the hole. The mini-ex's are great, but a 4' wide ball is likely to be really heavy. I'm not sure that tiny mini-ex can lift a tree that size high enough to get over the fence.
    So........dismantle fence. Rent min-ex to dig holes and place trees (use a specially designed tree strap or sling). Figure all of that into your costs. Have fun! Instant trees are great!!!

9. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Get or rent a Toro Dingo. It will fit through a 36" gate, and you can lift the trees over the fence while going through the gate. I guess depending on the weight of the trees, but it sounds like the Dingo would do fine.

10. wurkn with amish

wurkn with amish LawnSite Senior Member

get a tree handler and a couple shovels, might sound old fashioned but it works!