8.1l v8

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jpeg lawn maintenance, Jan 15, 2010.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

We aren't talking about medium duty trucks. Were talking about pickups.

2. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Thank you seems to have helped was just wondering i guess the 6.0 would be the better one to go with in a 2500 but the 8.1 comes with the allison thats only good thing. from what i hear.

3. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

There's nothing wrong with Hydra Matic 4L80E its a great transmission actually.

4. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

the 4L80 is an awesome tranny.. Have yet to have one in the shop!

And the 6.0 is more than enough motor for a 3/4ton truck.. Atleast it is for me..

5. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Wrong.:waving: And there is a guy I know locally that has a 2002 with one. Neighbor in Ohio owns a 4X4 dually with one.

6. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

i think the final decision will be a 6.0 2500 reg cab if i can find one i like, and if not it will be a f350 5.4

7. ranger350

ranger350 LawnSite Member

I have a 2001 2500 crew (1500HD) with the 6.0L and I towed my JD110TLB around with it for years ~10,000 lbs with trailer. Going up a steep hill you have floor it haha but other then that it worked fine. I still have it but the duramax does the towing now. Also the 4L80E is a great tranny, I dont know anyone personally that has had a problem.

8. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Do not go with a ford gas. Garbage!! No power until 4000 RPM's.

9. Junior M

Junior M LawnSite Fanatic

I am glad I am not the only one that sees this!

And Btw, my 2002 2500hd 6.0 yanks around the T300 with the grapple and 80in(I think?) 4n1 on the 24ft deckover pretty good. I mean its no diesel, but its pretty decent.

You can watch the gas gauge move though, but imo you cant complain about that because in all honesty, you bought it knowing that it was goin to suck gas like a mofo so quit crying about it and put some dam gas in it and keep going!

10. WGLandscapeMaintenance

WGLandscapeMaintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Yeah jr remember that buddy of mine who's got the lifted 6.0 I told you about? I went ice fishin with him last week and we drove 100 miles total and we burned like 1/3 of a tank :dizzy:

My dad's 6.0 will pull our toy hauler with plenty of power, only problem is we fight overdrive when were on the freeway. 7.5 mpg though! :waving: Hell of a lot more power than a trash 5.4