1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

8.1l v8

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Jpeg lawn maintenance, Jan 15, 2010.

1. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I have 4 trucks with 6.0 engines. Always pulling and not a problem. I do fit overdrive but I keep it in tow haul and do well. I also have a dmax that is awesome but I think when I trade again, I will go back to gas everything. I would like to get an 8.1 but is GM making that in a truck for the 2010-2011 yr? I will be looking at an 11 or 12 model year when trading again.

As far as milage - I do watch it but yet don't cuz that is not my concern - I need the truck, the power and were off.

In compared to fords - I don't like ours - not enough power until you about red line the thing - and then were off. Dodge - i am not running any newer styles right now so don't know.

2. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

The 8.1l gas won't be in anything that I know of next year.

Is that ford a 5.4? If so, what year? The pre 2004 ones were especially weak.

3. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

They wont be in the new trucks, I believe 07 was the lat year for the 8.1 and it was only in the classic body style. I have an 8.1 and love it. I get 10- 12 with mixed driving. It has the lower gears also. I love the Allison. I want to find the same truck with lower miles and an 2007. Mine is a 2003.

4. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

Production of the 8.1 engines ended in Dec of last year. They won't be making them anymore.

5. deere615

deere615 LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah 6.0's can do alot of work. But if you found a good deal on the big block I would go for it. But usually those big engines are for people whoe are constantly pulling heavy loads and just dont like diesel

6. collegefundms

collegefundms LawnSite Member

8.1 was by far the best gas motor out there I own two. If you ask me its like having a diesel but the fuel is a little cheaper. Im actually going to an auction on wednesday and I will probably pick up 2 or 3 from a business that went under.

7. jimmyjack

jimmyjack LawnSite Senior Member

company i worked for we had two newer one tons one with a 6.0 and other 8.1 , and both trucks where spec'd about the same , both where loaded down the same for winter plowing with a 2/3 yd sander and a 9 foot plow , and the 8.1 would get better mpg on avg... it wasnt much but it was better....

as far as a 5.4 ford :nono: gut less is what they are , my father works for the local water dept , and they orderd i think 3 or 4 a couple years ago , he said on avg they only get 7mpgs out of them towing ....

8. GravelyNut

GravelyNut LawnSite Bronze Member

That's one reason I can't understand why GM killed it. With the 6.0 and an 8.1 loaded the same, you'll get as good or better mileage out of the 8.1. And you might get there quicker as the torque will launch it better. But if you're going to use your truck as a car, then the 6.0 wins.

9. JPsDuramax

JPsDuramax LawnSite Senior Member
    from Georgia

If I were you, I would look for a 2001 - 2004 Duramax. I have a 2004.5 with the Dmax and I get 15mpg pulling the lawn trailer and about 11/11.5 pulling the Bobcat 853. I just put a Banks cold air intake and a 4" exhaust on it and my unloaded highway driving bumped up to 23mpg. Skip the gas burners and go for the diesel. It will not only serve you better, but they will hold their value better. I even put a 52 gallon tank on my truck so now I can go about 1000 miles on a road trip! All I need now is a programer to gain a little bit more. Just my 2 cents.

10. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member