8.5 acres of athletic fields-mow, no trim-how much?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by grassgirl4, Mar 30, 2008.

1. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

How much would you charge to mow and blow--not trim--8.5 acres of athletic fields (softball, baseball, soccer, and football)? Ground is flat and wide open. I have figures worked up but want to see where they fall with yours!!

Also, this is all one location--no travel time, vehicle fuel expense, vehicle wear-and-tear expense, or load/unload time.

Thanks in advance!!

2. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

I would go with $50 for the first acre and then $20 for each additional acre. This would come to a total of $200. So I think a good estimate would be somewhere in the $200 range.

3. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

what is the quality of cut required, weekly/biweekly?. i use Walkers on these types of accounts and get nothing less than $450 per cut

4. RonB

RonB LawnSite Senior Member

Yep, I'd say about $200-225, $25 acre for something like that. Should take about two hrs most. Do the cut when nobody is around - you can blow with the Z. Set the deck low and go backwards - works good for me.

5. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

My area - $175 - $200 easy.

6. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

I've got an 8 acre soccer field that takes several hours with a 72" mower. The Excel with the range wings will take at least an hour and a half. Thats a 13 foot width. All of our baseball and softball fields demand a high quality of cut, several times a week, at a short height. Nobody wants the clippings blasted onto the clay or clumped up, be prepared to pick up the trash before you mow. What if you gat a lot of rain or the fields are fertilized like crazy.

7. SoloSulkySurfer

SoloSulkySurfer LawnSite Member

I would'nt cut it for any less than $40-$50 an acre. Then again I might not get the job.

8. nosparkplugs

Walker Mowers

9. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

Very interesting--and wide array--of perspectives!! Thanks!!

A little more info:

1. They do want a high quality of cut (which, to me, means no 'blazing' through it in as short a time as possible...it needs to look good--including striping to a certain degree).

2. I recommended cutting twice per week to maintain optimal playing conditions and eliminate clumping and clippings in general.

Here's what I came up with:

$425.00 ($50 X 8.5 acres)
    - 42.50 (same site discount...no travel time)
    - 57.50 (multiple acre discount)
    + 10.00 (fuel surcharge)
    ---------
    335.00/cut...which, if done twice a week, would be $670. For the season (24 cuts), it would be $16,080.

For a high-quality job (i.e. not going for optimal speed), what do you think of my methodology?? Am I pricing myself out of the job?

Note: These figures put me at just under $40/acre...remember no trim...

10. nosparkplugs

How many others bidding, you need to be able to offer something that other LCO's cannot at your price? Our selling point is the Walker