8.8 briggs in a giant-vac Prob

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by bradseabridge, Sep 12, 2010.

1. bradseabridge

bradseabridge LawnSite Senior Member

Picked up a Giant-vac tailgate vac this weekend, it is older I'd say anywhere from 5 to 10 years old, but it has like 100 hours on it. Anyway it starts and runs perfect except for the fact that it has to be at half choke. Is this a carburetor adjustment? If I open or close the choke more than half it will start to bog almost immediately and then shut down all together.

I can do all kinds of engine work but my dad and I have never had any luck with carburetors. Help me out and let me know if its a carb adjustment or I need to put a rebuild kit in.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Pull it off, Clean it out and put it back on......

3. bradseabridge

Thanks Rob I'll do that tomorrow night and let you know. Why would it do that? Also the choke valve is like four inches away in a tube, it's not built into the carb like the walbro carb on my walk behind.

4. Restrorob

The main jet is restricted, That's why you have to run with the choke partly closed. You didn't post any engine numbers so I don't know which carb you have, My guess it's a older 'L' head engine with a up-draft style carb....

5. bradseabridge

yes sir, I'll go grab an engine number right now. be right back.

6. bradseabridge

Model: 195422

Type: 112801

Code: 960823YE

7. Restrorob

Remove the high speed adjuster assembly from the bottom of the bowl then the main jet nozzle behind it, Then you can remove the top for cleaning....

8. bradseabridge

Thanks Rob, you the man.