8 Acre Lot w/ hill

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JoshC, May 15, 2007.

1. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

A friend of my mom's has a rental property that hasn't been mowed yet this year so I'm guessing the grass would be 12-18 inches tall. It is about 8 acres with a bank on it. The owner of the property wants a rough estimate on how much it would cost to have it cut so they can charge the previous tennets for not keeping it up.

The owner is planning on mowing it themselves and they are just looking to me for an idea of what it would cost if say I did it. The property is over an hour from me so I'm not able to go look at it for myself. Anybody have a ballpark idea of what it might be worth? I'm thinking at LEAST $500. Probably closer to $750 because I'm sure it would have to be gone over twice minimum. I'm guessing 10-12 man hours. Does this sound about right?

2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

I'm sorry but I'm not into bidding on promises of work, put enough cash in my hand where I can wash myself of this dirty affair and we'll talk about it no more, yuck, but his attorney's name and number might be enough to counter the balance just incurred, ewww it's just way dirty, way, idk, idk...

I mean, how do you bid something you can't see, maybe somebody with lots of years of experience can tell, idk.

I just don't like this Pandora's Box, she's wide open imo.

3. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

I'm not going to do the work. Never planned on it. The owner of the property (a family friend) just wanted an idea so they could charge the tenant a fair price for not taking care of the lawn so they asked my opinion. Nothing more than that.

4. Pastaboy62

Pastaboy62 LawnSite Senior Member

id say closer to 750-900. I did a 4,000 sq. ft. house here, grass was 3 feet tall...I charged 500. It took about 4 hours and was not fun. Kept running over rabbits and beer bottles.

5. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Tell them to call a local LCO that is not an hour away. I am sure someone would come out and give an estimate.

IMO if they are doing it themselves and have no idea what to charge then they should be paying someone to do it or AT LEAST pay a local LCO to swing by and give an estimate. With the price of gas twenty dollars for an estimate would be fair. I am sure a local LCO could do it cheaper than what your family friend THINKS they can do it for. I doubt they have the equipment to handle 8 acres if they dont know what to charge.

6. JoshC

JoshC LawnSite Member

Well umm, thanks for the replies. Didn't plan on stepping on that many toes. Thought I could get some simple rough estimates from somebody that handles large accounts on a regular basis.

But anyway they can handle it themselves. Their own lawn is about 5 acres so they have the equipment, but have never had to charge anybody before so while talking to my mom it came up in conversation and she figured she would ask me for a rough idea. More or less it was to fine the tenants for not upkeeping the place while they were there.

7. Korey

Korey LawnSite Senior Member

The minimum I'd do it for is $640 ($40/acre x 8 acres x 2 passes). Maximum would be $960 ($40/acre x 8 acres x 3 passes). If I owned the property and the tenants are generally good, I'd charge em the minimum ($640). If they are lousy tenants, I'd charge the maximum ($960). If they are just ok, I'd charge em somewhere in between.

8. d&rlawncare

d&rlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

My rough estimate was $620 (very min),2 passes, depending on the trimming needed and the size of the hill. I wasnt trying to be smart (cuz I know I'm not) I was just trying to point out that there might be an easier way for the famliy friend to get a more accurate estimate.

Plus if they let the grass get that out of hand who knows what junk is hidding in the grass. Glass bottles, toys, stumps, metal rods. All that can do more damage to your mower than the $620 will cover.

9. green-pa

green-pa LawnSite Senior Member

So if bottles and stumps could do more damage than the $620+, why even do it? Could a little bottle really hurt a mower of that size ( 61"+)? I could see how a stump would, but wouldn't it just dull the blade? I'm new to the biz but am interested in learning about the big stuff and how durable it is so I know what how to come up right.

10. Budget

Budget LawnSite Senior Member
    from Pa.

Go look at it first before you say anything! Tell them to get another bid from a contractor to compare. Add in cost to ge there and back too.

Good luck.