8 acre poison ivy job + T3000

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by americanlawn, Jul 12, 2014.

1. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Older gentleman stopped in our office. Owns 8 acres. 3 homes on it. His house, his son's house, and his daughter's house, and all are allergic to poison ivy.

It's a beautiful property here in Saylor township with scenic views, rolling hills, and lots of native trees. He drove me around on his golf cart so I could see exactly what I was getting into.

How to price it:
    Normally I use a shurflo (electric) backpack with flat fan nozzle for poison ivy jobs. (I was figuring about $800)
    But this was a different situation >>
    1) huge area (I preferred not to walk it)
    2) the need to spray 10 - 15 feet into vegetation in order to spray all the poison ivy (cone nozzle would be best)
    3) I wanted to give this man the best price I could, and still wiping out the poison ivy with just one treatment.

So after riding on his golf cart, a thought came to me...... Why not use a T3000 ???? duh It was such a simple solution, it almost went over my head cuz I was used to the traditional method.

Result: I'm going to do this poison ivy job this coming week with a T3000.
    Price: $400.

Anybody else ever use a stand-on sprayer for poison ivy spraying???

2. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

Don't wear shorts in there Larry or you might get the itchies.

CHARLES CUE LawnSite Silver Member

I used my T to spray chain link fences that were over grown with just about every thing it worked good. But if I had to spray 10 to 15 ft up I would use a skid with spray gun that was adjustable like a Hypo. To much drift with trying to spray that high with a hand wand on the T.
  4. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the doctor bill will exceed the 400$ profit.
  5. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a separate 50gal skid sprayer I use for non selective.
  6. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

That's a real good price for the customer. I'd go higher if it was me.
  7. P.Services

P.Services LawnSite Fanatic

400 bucks? Wow that's sounds like a song. I hope it isn't all 8 acres.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  8. Cadzilla

Cadzilla LawnSite Senior Member

So just because you have a ten thousand dollar piece of equipment instead of a 100 dollar backpack, you drop the price in half?

I get being more efficient and being able to price it better for the consumer but you don't have to give it away.

Using ZMaxs for Vegetation control here is nothing new.

Friend of mine has a dedicated ZMax just for veg.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

What?? I can't wear shorts? I guess flip flops are out of the question.

The skeeters have recently hatched out, so I'll spray myself down with some of that cologne that DA Quality uses on Friday nights. :laugh:

I figure I can get the job done in about an hour.
    1) It's perimeters and around trees only (no turf areas)
    2) Customer doesn't care if I spray other low growing vegetation, cuz he wants to "open up" the property. This way I can "blow & go" without having to "hunt & peck" for just the poison ivy.
    a) Virginia creeper
    b) wild grape
    c) greenbrier
    d) moonseed
    e) multiflora rose
    f) wild cucumber
    e) dogwood
    f) honeysuckle

And we already use Chaser turf in our spreader/sprayers, and it's identical to Crossbow. I plan to use the "orange" cone nozzle cuz it sprays heavier than the grey cone nozzles we normally use on lawns. Will also add LI-700.

10. sprayboy

sprayboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Indiana

you are going to spray 8 acres in 1 hour? with multiple fills?