8 acres of grass clippings

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Earth and Turf, Aug 27, 2006.

1. Earth and Turf

Earth and Turf LawnSite Member

I am working for a realtor there client has not mowed an 8 acre yard all year We have bushhogged it 2 times it is looking better. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to pick up the dead grass. no joking aside I have thought of using a hay rake and them loading it on my trailer. Is there any thing else i might use. I have about 5 miles to go to dump the grass so not real far. Thanks for the help

2. all ferris

all ferris LawnSite Bronze Member

Fence it off and turn a herd of cows loose.

3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Use gator (mulching blades) continually over it...it will eventually all decompose and disappear. I had a similar situtation earlier this year where the turf hadn't been cut since last year. Can't even tell anymore how bad it was (waist high).

4. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

mow it N to S at maximum height
    Mow it E to W at maximum height

let it dry for 2 or 3 days
    double mow it again slightly lower

then let nature decompose it

5. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Got a 3-point rake? Even a york rake or tines would work if you just pile it with a tractor. Then, use a pitchfork for throwing it on the trailer. That stuff is easier to throw than you think. Raking 8 acres is just to hard-without a utility tractor.

6. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Carrying your idea of raking it one step farther; how about baling it for feed for horses or whatever?

7. Earth and Turf

Earth and Turf LawnSite Member

I do have a york rake and I have thought about baling it. But here is the biggest issue they only want to spend enough to just make it look decent. I hate doing half ass work but thats all they want. The realtor stopped by and saw the mess of grass and said we need to get it removed but not by mowing it 4 or 5 more times just by getting rid of it. I did not know if there was some sort of big vac type of deal but it would have to be huge. So if they want it as cheap as possible how do I bale it without the overhead of a hay baler. I have a JD 1070 tractor so I know its big enough to do it.

8. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Better hope someone doesn't throw a cig in there. That would catch about as fast as fatlighter.

9. imdawrlus

imdawrlus LawnSite Member

haha burn it

10. Scotts' Yard Care

Scotts' Yard Care LawnSite Senior Member

Would it be possible to rent a field chopper with a hay head and chop this into a six wheeler dump bed? I know I'm kinda reachin' here but just considering possibilities:laugh: Sounds like a typical customer who wants the work done but doesn't want to pay for it:dizzy: