8 Acres, What Do U Suggest?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by SERRICO, May 10, 2004.

1. SERRICO

SERRICO LawnSite Member
    from TX

8 ACRES OF VACANT LOT COMING UP.
    I'M THINKING ABOUT BUYING Z-TURN. I NEED YOUR OPINION ON RIDING ZERO TURN MOWER.

SIZE, PRICE, YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH RECOMMANDED MACHINE.

2. Jon99

Jon99 LawnSite Senior Member

Do you really want to spend $6K plus for a mower to cut a vacant lot??? If thats your only large property, why not go out and buy a POS mower just for the lot???

3. Superior Lawn Care

Superior Lawn Care LawnSite Member

It depends on what you want to pay and how long you want to be sitting at that account mowing? I can mow 7 acres in alittle over an hour with one 60'' lazer. thats an open lot though. That lazer cost me around $7500 brand new. but if that is your only lot and you dont plan on getting any more than yea you can go with a pos riding lawn tractor and you can maybe make some $$ off the account or you can also lose $$ in equipment repairswhen that rider you bought cheep breaks down every week. My choice would be go with a good zero turn and get more accounts if you have to it will pay for it self in the end.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

Vacant lot around me just screams illegal dumping grounds. I would not want to put anything nice on a vacant lot as you will run over all kinds of stuff. How over grown is the lot right now?

Gravely_Man

5. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

I would say, buy a lawn tractor. Its cheaper and like everyone else sais, if its your only one then don't buy an expensive unit.

6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

That I would have to see to really believe...

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Yep, Me too.

8. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

hey it's only 11.55 mph if you don't have any over lap cutting a full 60" each pass and no load or unload time :D

9. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

One mans acre is another mans yard. people are always telling me how many acres they cut a week. they always ask how many I cut and I always , you guest it, lie. not because I need to I just think it's funny that they find the need to ask. They always blert out 200 acres a week. I would reather know if they are making there payments on time in Jan and Feb. Not that i give a crap, it's just that I may need some more equipment next year. LOL Any way ya better keep cutin all them acres It's gettin hotter every day. By the way all your employees just filled out apps. for me.LOL Better put a rope on them sob's.

10. Littleriver1

Littleriver1 LawnSite Senior Member

O for got. nothing smaller than 61" , 72" would be better. May be that 7 acres in a hr was on the side of a highway with no turns