1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

8 days and NO GRASS!!!

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by apowell18, Apr 4, 2007.

1. apowell18

apowell18 LawnSite Member

I seeded a portion of a customers lawn 8 days ago, starter fert., and put down some straw. Went today to mow the rest of the lawn and noticed not one sprout. I know it's only been a week. And I don't know if the homeowner has been watering every day. But I'm a little ticked off, and worried. I don't guarantee that seed will take root and grow, but this definetely has me worried a little. I'm going to take some more seed next week and throw it down over that area.

Does anyone have any suggestions??? Am I just ********?:help:
  2. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

water is the key the customer probably isnt watering, is the soil moist when you go by?

3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Not only does it have to be watered every day, but it has to be watered properly. Many people don't understand that when you are planting grass....you ar watering 3 different things - with 3 totally different watering needs. And yes, right now, that soil should be kept CONTINUALLY moist. However, 8 days is nothing to get shook up about. If it is done properly, even 8 days is premature. Make sure it is being watered right and if it is, hang in there.
  4. txgrassguy

txgrassguy LawnSite Gold Member

What species of seed?
    What is the soil/ambient air temp?
  5. ferdinand711

ferdinand711 LawnSite Member

the temperature should be above 55F to help the seeds germinate and watering frequently......... two things you should consider before freaking out.
  6. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

I tell customers to water every morning for 14 days after seeding...most never do...they wait for rain and expect it to be enough...I always tell them, "just water the seeds that you want to grow"...then they get the point...but still do not listen...unless they have irrigation.
  7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Don't forget to lay down on the ground on your chest. You will see it two days earlier that way. Makes you feel better. Really. You can see it from that angle, when it can't be seen from above yet.
  8. apowell18

the last two nights we've had a freeze. The ground was saturated when I arrived yesterday. I'll figure something out. Thanks fellas for the help.
  9. apowell18

quick question to you guys: If the seed doesn't take, what is your next step? I've explained to the homeowner that we will give it another couple of weeks. I just don't want to end up charging them for all of this extra labor and materials that they had not planned on originally.

The seed is a fescue mix. I had a chemical guy come out for the fert. (I'm not licensed). I believe he put down a big dose of nitrogen (paperwork in my truck=truck in the shop).
  10. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

Ground temps need to be above 55F. Next time try Lesco's Team Mates seed for fast germination. It is a fescue blend with 10% rye. It's basically their transition blend with the rye added. Germinates real fast and makes the customers happy.