8 Gas Stations = How Much? / How Long?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TotalCareSolutions, Mar 6, 2003.

1. TotalCareSolutions

TotalCareSolutions LawnSite Senior Member

As I bleed further in to the commercial field, im trying to get a feel for volume quotes. One quote is for 8 minimart/gas stations (6 avg size w/ strips of grass - a couple larger corner lots)

Another is 4 motels, Budget Inns, nothing too extravagant(mow & blow). I suppose: time+overhead+profit...but Its "all or nothing" and its good work to keep costs covered while I juice residentials.

Could use some insight

2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I would have to visit each site and assess the situation. Figure your time at each one then tally them all up x number of cuts per year and divide them by 12. You would have to fill in the hourly rate.

3. lawnboyil

lawnboyil LawnSite Member

We mow 9 stations here. just figure up each indivially for a sepreate weekly then total each up for the seson seprately. and submit the bid to the DM

4. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Keep in mind that gas stations are dangerous to mow. I certainly would not do them cheap. Remember what they do to us!

Mark

5. $200,000 each, plus $986,000 for trash removal, $882,000 to trim shrubs, $4,987,333 for fert/weed control, $11,843,636 for mulch.

Ditto Homer

6. I think you might be lowballing it Lawngodfather:D

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I agree. Rather than just figure up your time mowing, picking up trash (that's a major), and trimming and such, just look at the miles, windshield time, gas spent, and the wasted time between these 15 minute stops, and you'll see that it's hardly even worth it. 3 keys to success in this biz of routing your clientele per amount of work at each site. Location, location, and location.

8. TotalCareSolutions

This gas thing didnt work out, I had the "catch", but after looking at the numbers decided to "release". Their supposed budget worked out to about $32 a station. They need to pay an employee, or a kid after school.

Were beating the bushes.....

my partner/salesmanager/wife had coffee w/ a district guy, who set up a lunch date with a corp. guy of an oil change outfit, who is expecting our proposal this Thursday over lunch for 75 locations. Weekly, varied grass size, many just strips + parking.
    (Im hoping it is PROPERTY service hes looking for, these lunch dates and all...)

Im sure a sure a few veterans have had these contracts. Any cautions other than the size and accountability.

Im thinking $250,000

9. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

May I interject a word of caution here............please?

Actually a phrase:

DO NOT PUT ALL YOUR EGGS IN ONE BASKET

Know a guy who did and when the plug was pulled so was he. If you could "crew up" to handle this many locations and still be diverse enough if and when somebody comes along with an el-cheapo price then fine. Keep enough going so that you can re-group when this happens...................save enough of the money made to float you for a while.

Remember, everything that glitters is not gold.;)

10. TotalCareSolutions

Homer, I admire that thinking & am in total agreement. Before proceeding further I have been making arrangements with associates of mine in the industry, each taking routes. I have a decent living now, but think it would be foolish not to bid it and spread this work out a little. No need being greedy here.