8 horse tecumseh problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Robert Doubrava, Oct 20, 2001.

1. Robert Doubrava

Robert Doubrava LawnSite Senior Member

i mow my grandfathers lawn for him because he's in a nursing home. i was mowing with his murray rear engine mower, and i heard a weird noise. i cant describe what it sounded like, but i know it came from the engine. right after i heard the noise, it started popping very loudly. fire and smoke was coming out of the muffler. i checked it a few days ago, and it still does it. thats why i say briggs engines are better than tecumsehs, we have not had a problem like this with any B&S engines before. im guessing, is it an internal engine problem, or a carb problem?

2. Robert Doubrava

i forgot. i beleive the tube coming out of the valve cover is the overflow tube, right? if it is, gasoline has been draining out of it, i think. i beleive it may be a problem with the valves or something.

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

has to be internal if it did all that

4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I can't really help you with the mechanical part of the trouble but I can almost guarantee you that the nice slugs at Tecumseh dont give a sh!+ about the problem. They are really a fine class of people.

I'd take that Tecumseh off and throw it in the crap heap and put a rubber band engine on it before I'd buy another fast food engine from those idiots.

Good Luck.

5. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

Robert Doubrava wrote:
    it started popping very loudly. fire and smoke was coming out of the muffler.

It is probably either a stuck exhaust valve or the camshaft has jumped a tooth. These engines are so cheap new that it's not worth fixing.

6. Robert Doubrava

when you sit there with the engine running, it starts to screw up. once you start to use it and you turn the blades on, it runs better.

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

sounds like something is loose in that case

8. Robert Doubrava

all i know is, tecumseh engines are not reliable.

9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with Richard. You have an exhaust problem. Burnt or sticking. This would be a good repair for you. Remove the cylinder head and inspect the exhaust valve. Use that Briggs manual you have and remove the valve while your in there and check it. I believe that Tecumseh has a much better engine today then the ones years ago. They have never really gotten over there past reliability problems. I'm not sure but I think they were the first to introduce the overhead valve design for a small engine back in the early 70's.

10. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

This is just my opionion. The new Tecumseh and Briggs engines are pretty close in performance and reliability. 10 years ago I would have said Briggs. On small equipment that's under 2k$ you'll see Briggs and Tecumseh. These engines are fine for residential and light commercial use. But if you want 100% commercial then you'll get equipment with Kaw's, Honda, Robin, Kabota, Kohler? I think the new Briggs 25 hp Vertical looks and runs great. We'll have to see how long they will run.