1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

8 Hour Lawn

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tiedeman, Jul 23, 2004.

1. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Well, I have a residential customer, the one with a 4.1 acre lawn, that I do weekly. He was having company come up from out of state and was wondering whether I could mow his other properties for him (which usually his dad mows it, split up over the entire week) to make them look nice.

So we started on the project yesterday, mowed for 3 hours, and finished up today mowing and trimming and it took 5 hours today, a total of 8 hours. I still haven't got the complete measurements on the lawn yet, but from what I measured today it was 12.6 acres and still counting.

I still haven't figured out a price yet for this property, and price is of no issue for him.

Just thought that I would tell my story.
  2. bonerigo.1

bonerigo.1 LawnSite Member

The biggest I do is a 10acre lawn that takes me 6 hours. Get on a 72 inch, turn on the Peltors and off i go.
  3. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

price is no issue? how about a quadrillion thousand dollars
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I was thinking more like one billion...ya know, its a nice round number
  5. CamLand

CamLand LawnSite Bronze Member

Uncle Scam will like your price...payup payup payup
  6. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

How about $480 per cut. . .or you could make him a deal at $450.
  7. HayBay

HayBay LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

One residential customer we get $120 for 5 acres of grass to cut. 2 big hills. Corner lot. Just discharge this one. With 2 people it takes 2 - 2.5 hours , with 1 person 3.5 - 4 hours. We are cutting every 10 days at this time of year, but usually its weekly. When the grass is growing fast you can add an 1/2 - 1hour onto that time. This property is not fertilized.

If you calculate that hourly it doesnt pay out like some smaller lots, but I couldn't see this customer handing over more that $500/month for their lawn. Thats almost a mortgage payment.

One advantage is you only load and unload 1 time for that money.
  8. Expert Lawns

Expert Lawns LawnSite Silver Member

$60/hr is good money for a group of lawns. are they near each other? what's your windshield time
  9. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

on a property like this $500 probably isnt even the tax.
  10. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation LawnSite Silver Member

That is relative to where you are located, I had customers paying 175 per cut every week in 1986 , the guy who bought the accounts from me is getting 250 per cut , they are 3 man hour jobs. Here in the annapolis area a $ 500.00 mortage wouldnt buy you a 1 car garage . A 2 bedroom rancher on a 75 by 200 lot in a regular blue collar neighborhood runs $ 250,000.