1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

8 hour work days too hard? atleast for me

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by privatelawn, Jul 3, 2007.

1. privatelawn

privatelawn LawnSite Senior Member

I added a third guy this week so that I can take off July 4th and 5th, after 4 hours of work we had done 25 lawns, at the 5th hour I gave up, temperature was like 95.

I see some of the guys here say they work 13-14 hours a day, is it constant work?

I could have continued working but I guess knowing I was ahead of schedule made me give up early, the other 2 guys were also beat.
  2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

IMO, people who work 10, 11, 12 hr days don't enjoy life. I work as little as possible so I can get home and watch my kid grow up. Right now I work about 30 hr week. I make enough to pay the bills, live comfortably, and enjoy life. Besides, I hate the heat of the summer (another reason not to work too much)
  3. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

I am up at 5am...on lawn #1 at 615...back the truck in the drive around 630 pm...stop for lunch and fuel once..get about 16 yards done a day with one helper...no city yards here...open country:walking:

Im 18, and after about a month or two of this, you can still feel it wearing down...but its nice to know at the end of the day, you put a full day in , ya know?
  4. gilatplc

gilatplc LawnSite Senior Member
    from FL

I have to say, in this Florida heat some days it is really hard to work 8 full hours out there. This is why on certain route I have added a helper this year there just no way to do the quality job and all they account needed in one day just by my self when he heat is ON!
  5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

I work 8 hours 2 days a week & then 5 AM to dark 2 days a week. Monday is my spare day in case there is rain in the forecast, holiday, or a vacation.
  6. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

If you cant handel 8 hours maybe your in the wrong business.
  7. S.A.L.

S.A.L. LawnSite Member
    from NOLA

I try to work smart rather than hard. Anything beyond 8 hours is hard. It rarely happens.
  8. privatelawn

Depends if your plan is to continue to mow forever

Soon I will have the employees do the hard labor.

9. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I guess after spending 18 deployed in Iraq carrying 100pounds of equipment every day the heat during the summer doesnt bother me.I 'll cut all day and im solo, Sittin in my office all day settin up accounts and schedules drives me insane!
  10. privatelawn

I may need to start eatting healthier, I go through a day, 2 packs of cigarettes and 2- 12 packs of pepsi, no food until I get home, today I tried powerade instead, never liked gatorade/powerade but I just have to try stay away from all this pepsi