1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

8 hp billy goat loader

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tjcezar, Apr 27, 2004.

1. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Do you guys think a 8 hp billy goat loader is a usefull piece of equip? I wasn't sure if 8hp was enough for loading efficiently.
  2. Stripe This

Stripe This LawnSite Member

Bigger the better....I wouldn't go with anything less than a 16HP. The size of the intake tube makes a huge difference as well. If I had to do it all over again, I would have purchased the trailer mounted version, bigger intake and engine.
  3. DJL

DJL LawnSite Member

I think if you know the 8HP can handle your workload why go with the heavier, more expensive 16HP?

On that note, I have the 16HP and absolutely love the thing. Has some drawbacks. Sucker is heavy...almost 300 pounds. The chute for the 16HP is bulky and difficult to store. But, as for power and suction, no problems at all (provided you stay within the limitations of the unit).
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

tj, check your PM's. I might have something for ya.
  5. tjcezar

tjcezar LawnSite Member
    from PA

Basically I've never used one but I know I want one. Thats the reason for asking of a comparison. I guess if 8hp is the smallest i probably dont want one since i may outgrow it too quick. I just know they are not that cheap for say a 16hp.
  6. Ax Man

Ax Man LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 11 hp, and it is a little slow, I would guess that the 16 would be a nice size for starters.
  7. GeeVee

GeeVee LawnSite Senior Member

Don't send a boy to do a mans job.

Tools don't cost, they pay.

You want to pay for a blowjob from a 8 hp ***** or do you want the 16 hp *****?
  8. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Geevee, there are some rules here about language and such. Might want to check them out.

By the way, how much did you pay for that book of quips that you keep using? Whatever the price, it was too much! LOL! Man do they get old quick (especially when you're throwing 2-3 in on every post!). ;-)
  9. Hometown

Hometown LawnSite Member

I use a 8hp billy goat to do all my loading in the fall, it is a walk behind model I just load in the front of my trailer and it has a chute they offer as an option with a flexable hose that will go up into a truck. I have it load into a box I use in the fall on my one ton dump. I also use the vacum hose that mounts to the front of the unit . I know it does not have the volume running through it that a larger unit would but I have not had it fail me yet. Aslo if the need arises I can take it off the trailer and put the bag back on it and use it that way. I can send you a picture of my unit if it will help just let me know.
  10. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

If you'r loading a pick-up truck, the 8 HP will work fine. I used one for years. A 16 HP in a pick-up is too much power.