8 HP Leaf Loader??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LB Landscaping, Nov 1, 2002.

1. LB Landscaping

LB Landscaping LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Maine

Anyone have or heard of a Billy Goat 8 hp leaf loader??? I was looking to buy a 16 or 20 hp next year because funds are limited this year. I ran across an 8 hp in good shape the guy is asking $750. I know that the more hp the better but is this worth looking into? Will clogging potential be a problem with the low hp? I do a significant amount of leaf clean-ups and it would make things alot easier. I would probably end up selling it next year and going to a bigger unit or maybe keep it as a back up. What do you think???

2. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

i wouldnt even waste your time getting the 8 hp. i just purchased a 16 hp billygoat, and it works great. i have heard from several guys that the smaller unit you have the more it will clog. you said you do signifigant amount of cleanups, so i why sell yourself short. just bite the bullet and get a 16 hp unit or bigger now and you wont have to upgrade next year. i got mine for about $2900

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

LB- MDB pretty much summed it up. I had a Giant Vac loader with an 8hp Kawi on it. It got me through two years, but was not nearly powerful enough. Clogging was a real problem, and we wouldn't even bother to use it when the leaves were wet.

I would hold off on the 8hp and roll that money into a 16hp or 20hp. Can you do without it this year and buy it next year? You won't have to worry about selling the smaller one.

One thing I definitely have learned is to go for larger, stronger, and more powerful with anything you buy because you may not need it now, but you WILL in the future. Good luck, Mike

4. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Thanks guys, I'll put the money towards a bigger unit next year. Looks like I'll be using the tarp for one more year.

5. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

I think you made the right choice! I know you'll be swearing us up in down while tarping this year, but I promise it is well worth waiting for at least a 16HP. I had a 9hp when I first started out, and it was great compared to tarping, but it would clog waay too much. I went with a 20HP the next year and the difference was unbelievable.

I lost a killing on the 9hp......but it was a lesson learned!

6. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

If you have the option of tarping vs. using any loader, I would go with the loader, even at 8 HP it is still going to save your back trying to pull, push, drag, twist, turn upsidedown, etc., etc.... with tarps. If the Billy Goat 8 HP is in good condition, I would get it for this season and then either sell it or keep it as a back up or for a pick-up as a second smaller leaf truck next year when you have the finances to upgrade.

7. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

LB,

The 8 HP loader is better than no loader. I have used one for several years. Like any pice of equipment, you have to learn how to use it.

Gene

8. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

LB- Why not use your Walker? Thats better,faster than a tarp and probably the 8hp, too.

9. LB Landscaping

from Maine

Greenman I use the Walker but up here (Maine) the leaves get to thick and dense to use the Walker. I use it as much as possible and your right it is quick and productive. I was also looking to use the loader to get the load from the Walker into the truck.

10. Boycea

Boycea LawnSite Senior Member

I used a billy goat 8hp leaf loader last year instead of using tarps like the previous year. I purchased it from another local lco for $500 and it worked out great. It did clog, but dealing with it clogging a few times was a lot easier than dealing with tarping the leaves. I ended up working on the loader during the winter and then sold it this past month for $800. I took that money and applied it towards a new 16hp loader. I'd say go for it and then upgrade to a larger unit when its financially possible. You have to start somewhere, might as well be with an 8hp unit. Good luck