8" Resilient Wedge Valve

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Nov 30, 2006.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Getting ready to cut in an isolation valve on part of a looped 8" main line at our newest high school. We'll probably install it next week with the aid of the Bobcat backhoe. Today we got the parts together and set the valve up for easier install. Note the "Duck Butter" pipe lubricant. :)

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-01.jpg

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-02.jpg

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-03.jpg

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-04.jpg

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-05.jpg
  2. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

A sponge??? It's more fun to jab your fingers in the tub and swab it on by hand. 'course people have told me I'm not 'right'!!:rolleyes:
  3. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

I use a cloth rag.

I'm surprised you went with gasket fit on that 8" valve. The few HUGE valves I've installed I've used bolt on flanges on either side of the valve.
  4. Dirty Water

So, when your using gaskets and you don't want to hack two sticks up for the factory beveled edge, do you spend 10 minutes with a file on each stick?

Also, don't forget to bolt that valve together before you turn the water back on :D
  5. PurpHaze

This was my partner Leo's first experience with Duck Butter. I provided the guidance as to how long to cut the pieces, how/where to bevel the ends, etc. and pretty much left everything else up to him. He decided that since we weren't down in a trench putting a lot of pipe together that he'd use the Sponge Bob Squarepants Duck Butter Application Method. :laugh:
  6. PurpHaze

I gave him the option of rag, sponge or glove.:)

Actually, we inherited the valve. It was purchased by the contractor that had to reroute an 8" main loop portion around the area where a new pool is being put in. That would have been capped and then we would take the old isolation valve and move it about 500 yards to the new location. Originally the plan was to move down the main line about 60', cut in a new tee, set the new isolation valve and then reroute. However, that cross section of another loop was only a 6" line so they went back to where the 8" main loop started just beyond the first isolation valve and used 45s to jog around the pool construction area.

The 8" stick already had a beveled end even though it was glue type pipe. I checked and the bevel was close enough that it worked and pounded right into the valve. All Leo really had to do was bevel one end of a new 18" stub. There was no hurry since we were doing all the prep work at the shop but I guess it took him about thirty minutes to bevel.
  7. PurpHaze

Finally got caught up enough that we started the installation of this isolation valve. It took 2-1/2 hours just to pump the water out after we cut the 8" main line. Guess we need a bigger pump or maybe buy a second pump for these large main lines. However, we busied ourselves with a couple other work orders on the same site while waiting. Everything went fine the first time (as usual) and the valve is now set in place. We'll backfill, sleeve the operating nut and install the Christy box tomorrow. Would have completed the whole thing today but we got a late start due to our monthly safety meeting.

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-06.jpg

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-07.jpg

El Diamante 8-inch RW Valve IV-08.jpg
  8. Dirty Water

So, who got the job of cutting the main while it was under pressure? :)

I've never installed a wedge valve, I'm guessing its similar to a gate valve from the look of it. Got a cutaway diagram somewhere?
  9. PurpHaze

We split the duties. I made the initial cut but we took the pressure off the main line first by inserting a QC key/blowout on a nearby baseball field.

They are still classified as a gate valve. The wedge shaped stop and the wedge seat are coated with a rubberized material that "meshes" together and creates a positive shut-off.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There have been resilient wedge gate valves in smaller brass sweat-connection sizes. I would hazard a guess that they have a better reliability record than most ball valves, as far as being able to be absolutely drip-tight off, year after year.