8 Sided Torx Bits (enclosed trailer)?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Lynden-Jeff, Mar 28, 2008.

1. Lynden-Jeff

Lynden-Jeff LawnSite Bronze Member

Hey,

Got these things on my enclosed trailer, and need to take them out to vinyl. My design guy said these bits are expensive and hard to find. Can anybody link me to the bit online or give me some info on them?

Thanks
    Jeff

2. Johnson LCO

Johnson LCO LawnSite Senior Member

Go to pepboys I believe they have them. I got a set for $10.

3. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Sears, lowes or home depot as well or tractor supply. Harbor freight has them too.

4. BeautifulBlooms

BeautifulBlooms LawnSite Senior Member

I tried at sears lowes and home depot and none of them had the bits i neeeded

I ran into the same thing on my dump trailer last fall.

Im still looking for the right bit too.

I just exposed the end and threaded it out with a wrench, but I would like to have the bits.

5. Lynden-Jeff

Yea they arn't common and don't think they can be found at the usual home depot etc. They are not called torx I don't think, they are an 8 pointed bit.

Cheers

6. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

7. Dstosh

Dstosh LawnSite Senior Member

I ran into the same problem the past week or so, if you cant get it with vice grips, Use a square type bit, my dad said they are used on house trailers, he got a workforce set, at HD I think.

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

What you need are Scrulox bits, they are square and will work in any double square sloted fastener. You can get them in a kit from most tool supplier. Link to SnapOn, But Tooltopia will have them as well.There are only 4 of them starting at 0,1,2,3

http://images.search.yahoo.com/imag...rulox&type=JPG&oid=e7c7ce2df05f1482&no=3&tt=6

ericg likes this.
  9. BOEpavers

BOEpavers LawnSite Member

A standard square bit of the correct size will fit. If you look close the "holes" are basically 2 squares rotated. I had the same question and called the trailer company that made mine and they said all they use in the shop is square bits.

10. Lynden-Jeff

Yep. I agree the squares would work however the slots are slightly sloped, hence why the scruloxs have a 2 stage square. Going to make some calls to some friends at snapon.

Thanks
    Jeff