8% Triclopyr... mix/app question

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Whitey4, Jun 27, 2009.

1. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Label says 1 oz per gallon per 200 square feet, even when using a backpack! One gallon for every 200 sq feet? Does that mean spraying far beyond run off, or what? How the heck will spraying that volume result in uptake by the leaves of the weeds? Is this stuff supposed to be soil drenched?

I've tried to Google the mode of this herbicide, but have come up empty. The label does mention that mowing should be delayed, and 24 hours of no irrigation is stated.

So, if it penetrates the foliage, why does it call for 1 gallon per 200 sq feet? :confused:

2. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I think the label instructions are written for homeowners who do not have the proper spray equipment to apply to a lawn. That is the volume required if spraying a lawn by waving an adjustable nozzle over a lawn. This is how some of the local bozos spray lawns. You ought to see a lawn sprayed with 1 oz/gallon MSMA, 4 gallons appled per 1000. I would mix 5 oz in however much water YOU need to cover 1000 sq ft accurately and evenly. Add a nonionic surfactant and watch the weeds curl. In my case, I spray 1000 sq ft with 1-2 gallons. Of course that is with a pressure regulated wand and AI fan tips. Triclopyr amine is active primarily through the leaves. If enough is applied to be active through the soil, bye bye trees and shrubs. That happens at rates above 1 lb per acre. I think 5 oz per 1000 of an 8% amine is less than a dangerous rate.

3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i would aggre with green M.D. 5 gals per 1000 sound like tank mixing or garden hose attachment. Triclopyr has a vast label when i use it down here to control some vines the labels is a much lower rate but always given in pints or qts per acre i just do the math (twice) for rate per 1000

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

At 5 gallons/M, most of it is going down to the soil surface - bypassing the foliar material, anyway (unless it is tall weeds).
    But on another note, is that really right? 5 oz. per M?

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Whitey,
    The commercial product is about 4 times as concentrated. Ortho is trying to make it simple for the homeowner, but they still have to use the label recommended amount of active ingredient per acre. As mentioned above, use the proper amount triclopyr per 1000 sqft, (5 oz), but adjust the water to fit your application method. Find out how much water it takes to cover a measured 1000 sqft of cement. Add your 5 oz triclopyr to that amount of water.

Myself I cover 1000 sqft with about a half gallon of water.

6. Whitey4

OK. Without me saying so, you guys knew I bought the Ortho... can't get much past you guys! BTW, what is the commercial version of triclopyr? I might be able to gleam info from that label, and next time around, if I like my results with this, I will buy whatever the commercial unit container is...

So, what is the commercial version of triclopyr? Brand names?

A half gallon per k sounds about right to me... so 2.5 oz per k and 5 oz per gallon. I know my sprayer pretty well, but I will make sure tha the 1/2 gallon per k is right. I will both broadcast and spot spray with the same tank mix.

Now, I just need one day... just one stinkin day with less than 10% chance of rain in the forecast. Bassads... It didn't rain today, but they called for spotty thunderstorms.

Thanks for the replies.

7. RigglePLC

Turflon is the main triclopyr product for turf, Garlon for brush control. Amazing stuff. Water clear--no odor. Friendly toxicity profile.

8. Whitey4

OK... I thought all esters were very combustable, but to my surprise, Turflon is not apparently, and better yet, it isn't restricted or prohibited here!

After looking over the label, I figure on 5 oz./gallon is indeed a good, but safe (not too hot) tank mix for the Ortho. I plan on spiking this with Quicksilver, but also noticed that Turflon can be mixed with most 3 ways as well.

Anyone ever try this? Does it make sense to mix all 3?

My backyard has every weed that grows in NY. It is my laboratory, and I may do some experimenting with this idea. Treat one area with Turflon and QS, another with 3 way and QS, and a third with a 3 mix combo, 3 way, Turflon and QS. See what happens...

9. greendoctor

greendoctor LawnSite Fanatic

I do. In zoysia lawns only, I mix my own 3 way + Quicksilver. That one is 2,4-D ester, Turflon ester, Banvel and Quicksilver. Nothing kills broadleaves more efficiently and completely. In my opinion, triclopyr is the ideal component of a lawn herbicide. It is too bad that most warm season grasses are intolerant of it to the point of it being useful to remove them from cool season grasses and zoysia. The low rate of triclopyr and the low rate of 3 Way with a Quicksilver spike will probably remove everything but the turfgrass. Believe it or not, triclopyr is not as scrutinized by regulatory agencies. It is considered a "reduced risk" pesticide. When 2,4-D was regulated off the market in Hawaii, both Turflon and Garlon were completely non restricted. You want crazy, go to California. All broadleaf herbicides are RUP there. including Turflon.

Do not fool with any ester herbicides on warm, windless days. A little warm, up to 85 is ok on a well fertilized and irrigated lawn. Windless means the vapors from the ester are able to saturate the air near the treatment area enough to damage trees and plants. I actually prefer that there be a 5-10 MPH breeze blowing the day I apply esters. Have not had any problems yet doing that even though it is 85+ almost every day here. On the other hand, I have made trees curl by spraying 2,4-D ester on a windless, warm and ridiculously humid day. Those are the days that it is wiser for me to be in the pool or at the reefs instead of spraying.

10. RigglePLC

Whitey,
    can't wait to see the results of your experiments. Keep us up to date, OK?
    If you use a half gallon of water per k--and the label calls for 5 ounces per k--then mix 5 ounces in a half gallon.