1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

8' wide car hauler for lawn equipment

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by themadcutter, Sep 3, 2011.

1. themadcutter

themadcutter LawnSite Senior Member
    from florida

Is it worth the extra weight to have that wide of a trailer. I know some one who has an 8x14 enclosed. He doesn't know the weight of the trailer and I haven't seen it up close. I was thinking that an 8' wide trailer would be nice to have but all that weight? I am a gas conscious person. I hate filling up and waisting that money. Thats why I learned to travel very light but I am going to start carrying an extra mower because of all the large properties I do so I am going to up grade my trailer. I have seen what happens to the underneath of a light single axle enclosed trailer that hauls 2 commercial mowers around. Thats why I want something more substantial. I guess everything is a trade off.

So does anyone use a car hauler for lawn equipment and do they regret it?

2. PLS-Tx

PLS-Tx LawnSite Silver Member
    from Texas

We use a 8.5X20, I had a 72" ztr when I bought it. For 60" ztr's I think a 8' wide trailer would be perfect.

3. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I love my 8.5 trailer. My lawn trailer is a 8.5x18 w/ vnose
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

I have an 8.5x24, works nicely.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. themadcutter

from florida

Thanks for the input. None of you guys really feel the coast of the extra weight
    associated with the 8' wide as compared to say a 6 wide. It may not seem like much because its only 2' but its really 2' x 14'. I Don't know how much weight that really is though.

6. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

My trailer is heavy and it's a pain to park, but it's worth it. It keeps my stuff dry, safe, and prevents me from forgetting anything. The extra width will allow you to have shelving/ladders/trimmer racks and still have room to walk. I am able to park my 34" ZTR and my Zspray side by side in mine. I also have my 60" Z and a 200 gallon skid sprayer with room for bags of fert.

7. GravelyGuy

from Indiana

Be prepared to piss many neighbors off when you park lol. Oh well...
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I don't woRry about fuel economy. I drive a c/c dually diesel. Fuel economy is the last thing I worry about
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. XLS

XLS LawnSite Silver Member

2' width wont be 700 lbs more on the ground???? what am i missing?

10. themadcutter

from florida

I don't think you are missing anything. I really had no idea how much more weight it would be. 700 seems like a lot to me. I built a trailer for my exmark and I don't think the whole trailer weighs 700. So you can see where I'm coming from.

A ways back I used a 6 by 16 utility and the gas difference was pretty noticeable compared to what I have now.