8 year old Billy Goat blower with 8Hp Briggs trouble starting

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Deereguy40, Sep 23, 2007.

1. Deereguy40

Deereguy40 LawnSite Member

I am buying this blower that runs great once started but starts hard. The owner says that it constantly floods itself out. To start it he has to turn the gas off and start the engine with the fuel in the bowl, then once started he turns the gas on. Was this a common problem on that perticular model? He told me that a tech at a local shop said that this model had problems. From my experience if the carb is bad then it runs bad and starts bad. Any suggestions would be great!

2. Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries

Mr. Force® Billy Goat Industries LawnSite Senior Member

I'm not an engine expert by any stretch and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn last night. I'd check to see if the float valve is possibly stuck. I had that happen to me one time like what you're describing but I had a dealer repair it so I'm not sure what was done. All I know is it filled my enclosed trailer with gasoline and vapor as I drove through Louisiana in the dead of summer about 8 to 10 years ago.

Unfortunately, we are not familiar with that problem on a large scale so I can't really be of too much help to you about that. My recommendation is to take it to a dealer. They should be able to trouble shoot that and take care of the problem.

3. wahlturfcare

wahlturfcare LawnSite Senior Member
    from iowa

if its flooding with the motor running or not, then your float is more than likely stuck. tap the out side of the carb with it running and not as that will sometimes free it up. if it still does it, clean the carb and maybe rebuild it.

4. Stillwater

Stillwater LawnSite Platinum Member

the float could be filled with gas you could have a pin hole in it it can easily be fixed with solder or replaced.

5. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

It sounds like it's flooding its self when the engine is off being that he has to turn the gas off prior to starting. Some carbs have the float attached to a needle/seat. Chances are there is dirt on the seat not letting the needle sit properly. Did he spray carb cleaner in recently? That will cuase these problems on old engines sometimes. Clean the carb out or rebuild it and this should go away. The carb kit will come with a new needle. The needles usually have a rubber tip which often wear out with age.