80 acres and 19k stones

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Flatlinegt, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Flatlinegt

Flatlinegt LawnSite Member

Today I was asked by the county next to me to place a bid on a 80 acre cemetery that has 19k headstones. I was also asked to bid on about 100 acres of mowing along city streets. All told, the parks dept worker I did the ride around with says his crew usually spends 90 hours mowing the grave yard and 200 hrs trimming it. As for the city streets a combined total of 75 hours mowing and 55 hours trimming. The city streets are highly traveled and I would consider these areas very accident prone. My question to you guys is, what would be your blind bid? I completely understand everyone is different but the number I'm coming up with is huge.

2. ReddensLawnCare

ReddensLawnCare LawnSite Bronze Member

Are the numbers you quoted man hours for a crew of 2,3,4? Or actual hours on the job
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Flatlinegt

Those are total man hours, since they are employees of the city the number of people on site very from day to day.

4. grassmasterswilson

grassmasterswilson LawnSite Platinum Member
    from nc

Maybe 4000 for cemetery and 5000 for streets per cut?????

Hard to say without seeing the layout? Cemetery in nice straight rows? How many guys you sending? Could you add the properties without sacrificing current customers? How long is contract? What about travel time on streets( is it medians or small push mow strips)

You also gonna need to factor in adding equipment and employees. So consider the headache.

I would also assume the city employees are working at worp speed so you know the hours it takes to complete the job at an average or slow pace.

5. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Let see a google pic of the cemetery

I say you should be at 80hrs to mow and 80hrs to trim Should be
    A man should be able to trim acre of stones in a hour if done right and have the right trimmer.
    Year bid I say 150k
    Per visit 4k-5k
    City street with out seeing it Im blind

6. Flatlinegt

Having problems getting them uploaded from my iPad.

image.jpg

7. Flatlinegt

About 20 miles so this.

image.jpg

8. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Just thought I might give some info which may or may not help.The DR company has a spring loaded string trimmer for fence lines.It is attached to the rear of a mower.It could possibly work in your situation on trimming the headstones.Just a thought.Did not want to hijack or anything.:)

9. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

Who is the yellow man, does he own the place, how much does he get paid?

10. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

How is it possible to work 290 hours for $4500.00?