1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

80 cents per square foot price for sod

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by matthew horner, May 5, 2004.

1. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

Just wondering what those of you with experience think of the price of 80 cents per square foot to install cent. or fescue sod, in central nc.

this includes all costs, except additional prep work.

Thank you
  2. Mikes Lawn Landscape

Mikes Lawn Landscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I think it is about 2.5 times more than I can get it done for by subbing out.
  3. matthew horner

thanks, that is why i'm asking. I want to be sure of my price before i put my name on the line.

4. DennisF

DennisF LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Here in west-central FL the going rate for ST. Augustine is about 40 cents on 5000 SF (10 pallets) or more.
  5. matthew horner

Is'nt florida a little lower on this stuff, usually?

I'd love to hear from some nc lco's
  6. matthew horner

I got a quote from a landscaper. He says he does it for 25 cents per square foot.

How can I be so wrong?

7. STECH

STECH LawnSite Member

I work in a property managment capacity now responsible for landscape and have several yards to bid for replacement. The numbers I see on this thread are way too low for California. Materials alone run 0.35 to 0.45 per square foot for Fescue.

All the sites I see online say to double the sod price which is fair with labor cost. I am finding there are adders like Gopher Screen, sod cutting, rototilling, bringing in topsoil to fix errosion. It really makes estimating a challenge.

Perhaps the numbers you were stating are materials pricing, but I am open to hear from anybody with any insite that may be of assistance.

Many Thanks

8. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

Sod costs 30-40 cents a foot here to buy it up here its blue grass we like to tac on about 25 cents a foot to install plus any prep work. Comes out to about 80-90 cents a foot here and you still don't make squat at that price.
  9. ericmcj31

ericmcj31 LawnSite Senior Member

depends on what it's selling for...here that is a little high--I would say around .50-.60/sq. ft--but that also depends on the job; a smaller job (less than say 10 pallets) would be more-and a bigger job (say more than 25 or 30 pallets would be less).
  10. STECH

STECH LawnSite Member

Looks that way here too. We have a very large immigrant population (I have no issue with ANYBODY making a buck) here substantially undercutting the mainstream players. It makes estimating very difficult in an already difficult time.

Looks like if there is minimal prep, there is no way to make a living at it.

Thanks much for the reply.