1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

80 degree customers

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bob Minney, Jun 1, 2002.

1. Every year, always the same, as soon as the temp starts hitting 80 I get 3 - 4 of these a week while I'm on the job.

I hurt my back, could you mow for me today?
    My mowers in the shop, can ya help me out.

I think $10 is about twice what they hope to pay
  2. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I suppose 80 would be considered hot in Denver?

Just stick it to em when they call. One timers need to be taught a lesson. Tell em it's cheaper by the dozen, ie, 12 month agreement.
  3. Plowguy99

Plowguy99 LawnSite Member
    from MI

Had one last week. "My mower is in the shop." It turned out to be legit though. Small lawn so I told him $25 and he ended up giving me $30 for coming out that day.

I have had people before that were like "$30...a week? Does that include fertilizing and weed control?" Sure why not...Hey, I can wash your car and do your laundry too since I am out. Heck, it is not like I am trying to make a profit or anything!
  4. Yah, 80 is hot 90 is a killer. Although the humidity only runs 15-25% we are a mile closer to the sun and that will cook you. Around here we dont need propane grills, you just eat your burger raw, lay on your back in the sun, 5 minutes latter its done. All them forest fires are started by the newbies that dont know better.

BTW - I do go quote for these people, depending on growth I price 1.75 to 3 X regular prices. Get about a third, and even turn a few into regulars. Scare away the rest.

I just notice that at 80 degrees they come out like skeeters after rain.
  5. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

80 is warm here, 90 is a killer. Normally we only get 5 days a year where the temp hits 90 or above.
    My question is, how long has it been since any one has seen a normal year?
    75 to 85 are our normal summer time highs. This would be a great place to live if it wasn't for the da-- wind.
  6. maple city

maple city LawnSite Senior Member

I can't remember the last "normal" year. Last year, we had one account we mowed once every 3 weeks because it was so dry and hot. We had about a month of 90's - 100's. Really hope it's not like that this year. When you add our humidity to that, it's really a killer.

I have never noticed an increase of business when it's hotter. It will stay above 80 here probably until late August.
  7. yardmonkey

yardmonkey LawnSite Senior Member

In Oklahoma we get up to 100 degrees in the summer and sometimes its over 100 every day for up to 2 months. Definitely a factor in why people pay to have someone mow their lawn. So far its been on the cool side, but the heat is coming!
  8. Dennis E.

Dennis E. LawnSite Senior Member

That's a cold snap here!
    When it gets to be over 90 here that's when I get stopped while working and asked the same question. It's hilarious.
    It's hard not to laugh.
    I usually have to pass because of my schedule,but I always give em' a card for future possibilities.
  9. proline32

proline32 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 98383

I just tell them that the minimum is $38.00 Bob, for doing a one timer, heck most of the time these folks don't mow thier yards regularly anyway so I really don't want to mow someones junk yard, I did a onetimer the otherday, I just mowed it down for $45.00 bucks and left the clippings on the ground, and they really didn't care.
  10. ADMowing

ADMowing LawnSite Member
    from Florida

We get yahooos like that who have yards with 2 foot tall grass and they don't want to cut it now because its too hard to do with their little push mower. Duh! Why didn't you get out there and mow it three months ago?????

Anyway, we charge about 4 times our normal rate and even if they decide to take us on as an annual service, if there is a lot of clean up, we charge extra for it. Usually, when they hear how much less it is to keep us on the payroll annually, they want to do it. Obviously, they haven't been doing their lawn and need someone who will.

We stress that we get paid in advance -- beginning of each month. If we don't get paid, it can cause a delay or termination of their service. This is right on our quote. That weeds out the deadbeats too! We have heard lots of horror stories about LCO's doing lawns and never getting paid.

Charging an outrageous fee for a one time visit often helps them realize that they need full time service! Better for us -- better for them! If our schedule is full -- which it usually is by now, but is not yet -- we don't do it. We just tell them we don't have time, but if they would like for us to take their name and number, we'll call them when the next slot in our schedule comes available. That worked out nicely for us last year.