1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

80% Weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by nathanlee79, Mar 1, 2002.

1. nathanlee79

nathanlee79 LawnSite Member

Maybe you guys have had to do this. Customer wants entire lawn redone. Its only about 6,000 sq./ft. However it is made up of 80% weeds. I think its got every possible weed in it. Crabgrass and broad-leaf weeds. I've heard to just kill off the entire yard, but I am not too familiar with what would be the most effective route or the best time to do this. I know I will have to slit seed and fertilize the lawn a couple of weeks after doing so.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.:confused:
  2. You got it.

Round-Up the entire lawn, wait 11-14 days.

Run over it 2 times with the slit seeder and pick up the crap.

Then go over it 2 times again while seeding, but make sure your second pass is at 45 degrees (crosshatch) from your first seeding pass. An don't forget to set it for 50-55% of the seed required because you are doing it 2 times.
  3. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Need to be careful. Spring is not the best time to start new lawn. I would suggest starting very soon. Explain to customer that a thick lawn will take overseeding in early fall and probably the following fall. Along with proper nutrients. You might consider tilling the soil this would giver quicker deeper root system for summer heat. Might want to consider straw mulch to aid with moisture retention. Tell customer he will have weeds and they will be taken care of in the fall before overseeding. Good luck.
  4. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

I agree with 1grnlwn. If I do seed a lawn in spring (hardly ever) I make sure they understand that it may not survive the summer and tell them it will take two fall overseedings to get it complete.